Younger Cat Sucking on Blankets..

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by msmonkeyfeet, Nov 17, 2012.

1. msmonkeyfeet

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

So I noticed that my 4 month old cat seems to enjoy "sucking" on soft blankets as well as my fuzzy pj pants! He only seems to do it on softer fuzzier fabrics and only right before he goes to sleep on top of whatever it is. At first I thought maybe it was his way of soothing himself to sleep in sort of the same way he'd have nursed from his mother's fuzzy stomach but he was actually hand/bottle fed because he was rescued at only a few weeks old from a feral colony. Anyone else have a cat that does this??

msmonkeyfeet, Nov 17, 2012
  2. msmonkeyfeet

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I have had cats that did this and I think it's soothing and mimicing the nursing. Even though the cat is bottle fed, this might be something that they are born with. To survive they must know how to nurse, so I guess that's just programmed into their system so to speak.

Yolanda, Nov 18, 2012
  3. msmonkeyfeet

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat does this too! He even does this while making biscuits on my blanket and when he got older he just started to do it when he was feeling randy. He instantly tries to mate with my fuzzy blankets.

steph84, Nov 20, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. msmonkeyfeet

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Oh wow! My cat definitely doesn't try to "mate" with the fuzzy blankets, he simply sucks on the blanket and then goes to sleep. He was actually doing it again tonight laying on my lap and sucking on my fuzzy pj pants. It's good to know it's not just my car that does it though!

msmonkeyfeet, Nov 24, 2012
  5. msmonkeyfeet

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Haven't seen any of my cats sucking on blankets. However I have seen some of the younger ones suck on the bigger ones. They would suck on any part they can latch their mouths on. Sometimes the older cats would just allow it.

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
  6. msmonkeyfeet

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I love that last sentence, I almost fell of my chair laughing XD

Yolanda, Nov 25, 2012
  7. msmonkeyfeet

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Actually I would like to see that. I can imagine the cat making out with a pillow. Fuzzy blanket? That would be something to see.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
Ask a Question