Would you leave your cat your whole inheritance

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Dec 20, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

Occasionally we here stories of people leaving all their wealth to pets. A few weeks ago a stray cat ended up being a millionaire from a certain lady. I was just wondering if any of you would leave your cat all your earthly possession.

kat74, Dec 20, 2011
  2. kat74

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I would definitely find a way for my animals to be taken care of. But leaving it all to the cat him/herself?

What would a cat do with a fortune? Aside from the nice jingly sound the change would make as they bat it around with their paws, I mean?

Wallie0921, Dec 20, 2011
  3. kat74

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Haha.. I would never do that, though I would leave some money for my cat to be taken care of (like Wallie said), but never my entire inheritance. I think it's selfish since a cat can't do anything with the money anyway.

Belligerent, Dec 22, 2011
  4. kat74

amy005 Well-Known Member

I would never leave my cat my entire inheritance if I were to ever become wealthy! Especially since I have too many other relatives in which I know could use money.. I would make sure that someone would be able to take in the cat.. probably one of the people who I would give part of my inheritance to so I know they are able to afford taking care of my cat.

amy005, Dec 23, 2011
  5. kat74

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

If I were wealthy, I would leave my inheritance to my sons and one of my best friends. My youngest son and best friend would have a larger portion than my first and second son because I know they are the ones who would care for the kittys and continue rescuing animals from high kill shelters.

Micheleteresa, Dec 23, 2011
  6. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Well, I doubt if I have much money to leave my cats. If I can teach them to type on the keyboard, maybe I can leave them my websites and let them continue with my blogs when I am gone.

Victor Leigh, Dec 25, 2011
    Wallie0921 likes this.
  7. kat74

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

I think that is an excellent question, kat74, because we all need to plan for the day when we are no longer able to care for our feline/canine companions. And it is as tough a question as "what are we going to do with our human family?" Humans get provided for automatically, society thinks that is just necessary. But what about our non-human family? I start thinking about wills, and trusts and lawyers, and executors and stuff I don't know much about. We all rescue and care for animals because we want to make the world a better place, and then, in the end, what happens to our beloved companions?

Kay Dougall, May 7, 2015
  8. kat74

jeskalillis Active Member

I would not leave my pets my inheritance. It just seems silly and a waste. I would leave any money I may have once I pass, to any future children. I would ensure that my pets are going to be well taken care of though. Are pets something that is normally added to a will?

jeskalillis, May 9, 2015
  9. kat74

Anne Well-Known Member

He would not be very well off...he might be very upset with me thinking " what the hell, it's barely enough to pay off her debt". Seriously though, it would not happen. It would be a serious insult to my family. Yet. it seems a sweet thing to leave instructions as to the care of our pets if we die.

Anne, May 11, 2015
  10. kat74

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I have children so it isn't an option. If I didnt have my husband and my kids I might.

LilAnn, May 22, 2015
  11. kat74

sammy674 Member

It certainly makes sense to leave your cat some of your inheritance to ensure he/she is well taken care of when you're gone. How does this work logistically though? Is the person who ends up caring for your cat under strict orders to only spend this money on the cat? How can it be enforced?

sammy674, May 23, 2015
Ask a Question