Would they make friends with birds, mice, etc?

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Jessi, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

We've talked a little bit about cats and dogs getting a long, but would your cat get along with animals that would otherwise be considered their prey? If you owned a bird or rat, for example, do you think they'd always be trying to get at it?

Jessi, Jun 16, 2012
  2. Jessi

TabithaW Member

At that age most animals would snuggle together regardless of species. They have not yet learned their differences. Which, is not unlike little small kids of different races and religions getting along before they are taught their differences.

I love this picture that has been going around the internet this week of another unlikely pair. It's a 3-week old bobcat kitten and 3 day old fawn rescued from a Fire in Santa Barbara, California. There are several different shots of them together. deer.jpg

TabithaW, Jun 17, 2012
  3. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This one looks cute to me although the duckling does look a bit worried.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jun 17, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

You're right. It's generally young kittens that couldn't care less what species it is, so if they're exposed to them early on, they may continue to not care as they become adults. Introducing another species to an adult cat, though, is another story.

Jessi, Jun 17, 2012
  5. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

I agree that the age plays a part when it comes to introducing other species to one another. I have seen some wonderful photos shared on Facebook on various types of animals. There is always one adult animal and a young animal. I have yet to see two different adult animals cosying up to one another.

Mystique, Jun 18, 2012
  6. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I love these photographs. Yesterday my mom and I happened to come across a series of books that were full of such photographs of unlikely animal friendships. It's heartwarming to see animals befriending animals who would in normal circumstances be their prey. I think while it's not wise to experiement with this in your own home :eek: that there will always be exceptions to the rule.

tajnz, Jun 30, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I do think it's a conditioned reflex more than an inherited enmity. I remember bringing up a kitten and a puppy together. The kitten was part of a litter. The puppy was a lonesome stray. Both of them had similar coloration, black patches on white. So they decided, by themselves, to be buddies and grew up playing together.

Victor Leigh, Jun 30, 2012
Ask a Question