Window seats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HappyRocinante, Jul 11, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Anyone have some tips or advice on how to make a window ledge seat from scratch? Internet site or anything would be appreciated.

Both my cats love siting in the window and right now have a cheap plastic stand set up for them. I want to get rid of it because it's ugly and not very stable but I have to replace it first or they might hurt me.

I also would like to know about the cushions or pillows you might put on the seat. How to keep them clean and maybe how to wash them correctly so they don't get misshapen would be wonderful.

HappyRocinante, Jul 11, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

I suppose the best idea I can consider is if you're only planning to have the cats sit there, then just put a nice looking shelf there. Wood will do. You can paint it a color to go with the interior decor. Finding the pieces for doing one shouldn't be too hard if the size of the window is such it would be difficult to find one ready made for installation.

In lieu of putting down cushioning you could also put down matting, maybe something to provide a little cushion but also to keep it from getting worn and dirty as much. Similar to what you would line stairs with? Using a small fitted rug you can clean and replace would probably be the best bet. If you're concerned about it getting wet at all you can place a plastic under the bottom of the rug and/or on top of the shelving to protect, which can also be replaced as needed too!

That is a good idea! I never considered. It's quite a sweet gesture! I hope this was of some help. Best of luck!

QuatreHiead, Jul 13, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

Jessi Well-Known Member

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-build-a-pet-window-seat/index.html

Here's an example of how to make one that's similar to the shelf Quatre mentioned. The thing that stood out to me was that instead of adding a cushion/pillow, they covered it in carpet. That way, it could be used as a scratching ledge, too, and there's no frustrating of trying to clean it later either.

Jessi, Jul 13, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

That is a neat one! Covering with carpet is a good idea as long as you don't mind occasionally cleaning up the bits of scrap around everywhere. But I have a feeling they would like to have a scratching surface either way. They can also mark their territory and feel quite at home if you make it that way. So that could be the best way to go, since they'd more than likely scratch the surface either way.

QuatreHiead, Jul 15, 2012
Ask a Question