Why do cats do this?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by catlover2, Oct 11, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

If I am sitting on the couch doing nothing none of the cats bother me. But as soon as I grab a magazine or a book, they are right in my face wanting me to pet them. Why do they wait until the least opportune times to do this when just a little while ago they did not want me when I was doing nothing?

catlover2, Oct 11, 2010
  2. catlover2

Catsfan New Member

Our cats need attention, but the truth is that they have energy that must be spent. Therefore, your cat bothering sometimes do not leave you. I solve this problem as I bought cat tree from this guys http://www.o2cats.com/awesome-cat-tree-by-armarkat-p-145.html for my Mighty. Cat trees are great for cats in many ways. It gives nervous cats a place to call their own, up and away from everything else. Not only does scratching help remove the old sheaths from his claws, but it also excersizes his front leg and shoulder muscles.
    I recoomend cat tress for every cat owner, your cat will love it:)

Catsfan, Dec 14, 2010
  3. catlover2

sammilynn Member

My cat acts more like a dog... he's always following me around, and most of the time he wants to be in my lap, or at least beside me. If I'm on the computer, he walks all over the keyboard, if I'm reading anything, he bites the pages, and If I'm writing or drawing, he attacks the pen/pencil. He just wants attention, so that's probably why your's did it too.

Getting something like a cat tree is a good idea, I need to get one, need the money first lol They keep them occupied, and being able to scratch at it is fun and good for them. :)

sammilynn, Nov 22, 2011
  4. catlover2

doublelady Active Member

My cat used to be in my face whenever I wanted to do something else, but now he is pretty independent. Every night though he's curled up right behind me. When I roll over he'll make a squeaking noise so I don't lay on him.

I want to build a cat tree from some scrap lumber and cover it with some carpeting. I think I could make a cat tree that they would like better than one from a store.

doublelady, Nov 22, 2011
  5. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I didn't use any carpeting at all on my cat tree. I covered the platforms with towels, then stapled them down with a staple gun. That way, when the cats threw up on them, I could just unstaple them and throw them in the washer. I covered the "legs" with sisal rope.

The tree has gone the way of all flesh now, but I still make my own scratching posts with 4x4s and sisal rope.

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
  6. catlover2

amy005 Well-Known Member

Cats are pretty need at times and I swear they do seem to get jealous when we are paying attention to anything but them! They are very finicky creatures but they really just wanna love you and be loved. I think everyone is right about the cat tress, also cat nip will keep your cat preoccupied for a while!

amy005, Nov 25, 2011
  7. catlover2

Da!sy Member

Sounds like your cat is letting you know that he/she is 'first' in your life and that magazine, or whatever, is a nuisance. A cat tree has never worked with my cat. If she wants my attention that is what she wants...distraction doesn't do it. She seems pretty confident that she deserves my attention whenever! Wish I had that kind of confidence. So, truthfully, I don't have a solution, just a suggestion -- enjoy your cat.

Da!sy, Nov 29, 2011
  8. catlover2

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

My cat does this too. All up in my business and wants to be right near me if possible. The cat tree is a good idea, but he/she may not use it if it's not where you sit when relaxing. Of course, I like that my cat likes to be near me but it can be tricky sometimes when I am working.

MaxKitteh, Nov 29, 2011
  9. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

I think it just the way are? If something else seems to be taking your attention then they want it back on them! It may be related to the fact that full eye contact is considered a threat, so when you are not looking at them at all they feel most at ease or intrigued. It is this that makes them go straight to the person in the room who doesn't like cats - as this is the one person who won't be looking at them!

magickat, Dec 2, 2011
  10. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

That's so cute and funny. My problem is that my cat never wants to sit with me or lay on my lap whenever I'm watching TV, but as soon as I'm about to hop off the recliner, he jumps up and falls asleep. Then I feel bad for wanting to wake him up from his cute little nap. We need to get on schedule with our cats.

steph84, Dec 27, 2011
  11. catlover2

Alli Well-Known Member

Maybe you need to psych out your cat- pretend to read when you want to cuddle your kitty and then really start reading once your cat gets tired of cuddling.

Alli, Dec 31, 2011
  12. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats don't bother me about books. Mainly because I don't have any. However, when I start work on my keyboard, my cats like to take part, too. Takes a lot of work to make them understand that cats are not needed for online work.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  13. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I think cats get jealous when you're doing something else besides paying attention to them. My cat does the exact same thing. Most of the time I think it's adorable, so I put whatever I'm doing aside and give her attention.

Belligerent, Jan 5, 2012
  14. catlover2

You think cats are jealous of us? Cats think otherwise:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jan 7, 2012
  15. catlover2

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

One of the sayings in our house (maybe I should make a sampler of it) is "Hands are for petting the kitty."

Hands are not for holding books. Hands are not for typing on keyboards. Hands are definitely not for holding toothbrushes.

Hands are for petting the kitty.

Wallie0921, Jan 8, 2012
  16. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Haha my cat gets jealous if my husband and I are paying attention to each other. She runs up and wants attention immediately. It's really funny. I'm not sure if she's actually jealous or not, but she acts like it.

Belligerent, Jan 8, 2012
  17. catlover2

Cat Member

Ha ha ha! If I want my cat Willow to come to me, I flip pages of a book and she comes running from wherever she is hiding. I can call and call her and she doesn't even know her name, a book...she comes trotting out to find me. WEIRD!! She especially likes it when I go to bed with a book and she can rub her face on it and try and bite the corners. All my other previous cats would lay right in the middle of homework, chew the pen or pencil you were using. I think perhaps they like the sound of the crinkling of the paper, they all love it! Crinkling of bags, books, mags, papers of any kind! We as cat owners must remember....CATS ARE WEIRD!! :confused:

Cat, Apr 20, 2012
  18. catlover2

My cats have this same weird fascination with the sound of plastic bags crinkling. I think they have associated that sound with food because very often I would bring home tidbits in plastic bags. They are also excited by the sound of the cooking pot cover being opened. Food again, I suppose.

Victor Leigh, Apr 20, 2012
  19. catlover2

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That's a clever idea- use reverse psychology. When you want to pet your cat and you want some special cat hugging time, you pretend to read. When they get fed up and want to be left alone, you can enjoy your book. Brilliant.

ACSAPA, Sep 24, 2012
  20. catlover2

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine do this as well, always when I am laying on my back on my laptop my boy cat always jumps up and starts kneading my chest wanting cuddles. I just think he doesn't like anyone else having attention but him!

Scottyxx, Sep 25, 2012
Ask a Question