What Brand of Cat Food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Belligerent, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Belligerent

Belligerent Well-Known Member

What do you feed your kitty? I feed mine Iams Original. She seems to love it and I heard it isn't good to change their diet from what cat food to the next.

[​IMG]

Belligerent, Dec 3, 2011
  2. Belligerent

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

All 6 of my cats eat Friskies! They eat both the wet and dry cat food.

Wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
  3. Belligerent

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I feed mine Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken. It's a grain-free, meat by-product-free kibble. The first ingredient is chicken, and the kibbles are held together with sweet potato, which also provides some fiber.

Before someone says something, potatoes are safe for cats. When you see "root vegetables" listed as dangerous, they mean relatives of the onion.

Wallie0921, Dec 5, 2011
  4. Belligerent

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Raw! Dry food is terrible for cats, regardless of what brand it is. Too much in the way of fillers or carbs for an obligate carnivore. Canned food is much better, but obviously some are better than others. Wellness Core (higher protein) and Evo are pretty good. There's no reason to feed your carnivore any vegetables though and cats aren't equipped to digest them properly...their bodies evolved to get all their nutrition from meat, organs and bone (in the percentages usually found in prey animals they'd catch themselves). Since cats also evolved as desert animals, they get much more moisture/water from meat, and this results in a more compact and less odorous feces...which makes sense. Cats who had smelly feces announced their presence more readily (not to their advantage). Cats mark territory in other ways (head rubbing, rubbing/spraying for males).

Here's another thing, your cat will not get the proper teeth-cleaning with food that it gulps down without 'chewing' either, so raw meat is superior here as well (moreso with light bones). My cat was only 4 months when I fed him everything from sardines (in water) to boneless pork, steak, chicken and even chicken on the bone, and he *LOVED* it and yes he crunched those little bones like nobody's business. His food drive went crazy and we all know that kittens are supposed to eat as much as they want (they're still growing and developing).

His water ingestion also went up, because the urine in his litterbox grew like double the size (this is how cats are meant to get their water) A cat eating raw will always get more water intake than a cat which drinks water, as cats naturally have a low thirst-drive.

Sufficient water means your cat has much less risk of urinary tract infections, urinary tract blockages (more important with male physiology), etc. Also, raw meat is ideal for your cats digestive system and if it takes time to chew, your cat's stomach will have the acids ready for food for complete digestion....meaning less gas and better nutrition. This means it'll need less bulk to feel satisfied (compared to dry food) and is less likely to be fat or get diabetes.

If you're a raw newbie..just buy a pack of cheap (manager's special) boneless chicken at the store, something that is near or past its sell-by date (cats can handle it, worry not). Feed it a slice that's small enough to chew bits off, but not so small your cat eats it whole. Your cat will benefit using its jaw muscles (perhaps for the first time in its life) and there's a psychological benefit here too, especially if your cat likes to bite *you* from time to time. ;) Let your cat work a bit and it'll be a pro raw eater. You'll also notice a difference in its coat, and the taurine from heart muscle or working muscle (dark meat) will be ideal for your cat's brain and eye development.

Try it and report back...film it too if you like. In fact I filmed my cat eating raw and I'll rip the video now so I can share the link. :)

Max

MaxKitteh, Dec 6, 2011
    Belligerent likes this.
  5. Belligerent

furred_up New Member

A mixture. I put IAMs dry food down through the day which both my cats revisit from time to time, then I feed them tinned meat from the Felix range. I have to say I do also feed them some meat from time to time as well just to have a bit of variety in their diet.

furred_up, Dec 6, 2011
  6. Belligerent

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info MaxKitteh.. my only concern is my cat is very picky. The one foods she will eat besides cat food is sardines & tuna. I will try to feed her some chicken, but she hasn't wanted it in the past. Do you know any way to make it more appealing to her? I myself to not eat processed garbage, so it would be nice if I could get my cat on a similar diet. :)

Belligerent, Dec 7, 2011
Ask a Question