What are the best foods for a cat with renal failure?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jenb128, May 5, 2012.

1. jenb128

jenb128 Member

Hi all! I l share my home with a furry feline senior citizen. I don't know his exact age (he originally belonged to my mother-in-law, and she doesn't remember how old he is), but he's somewhere between 14 and 16. Anyway, he was recently diagnosed with chronic renal failure. Thankfully, it's in the early stages - I lost a cat to complications from diabetes last fall, and I'm not ready to go through that again. Anyway, Monster has been eating Wellness wet cat food for the past few years, but it's high in protein and phosphorus, which of course isn't great for a cat with kidney problems. I know wet food is best, but I'm not having much luck finding a different higher quality brand that he will eat. I've tried Spot's Stew, Merrick's, and of course we can forget about the prescription food. Has anybody had success getting their CRF cat to eat a proper food? If so, what brands? Thanks!

jenb128, May 5, 2012
  2. jenb128

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My sister's 17 year old cat died from renal failure and other health problems. I would like to recommend Blue's cat foods for this cat, but call the customer service on the Blue's site, and ask them which type to use for your cat. My one cat has diabetes, and since I've started using Blue's cat foods, his condition is alot better. My vet wanted me to stay with the vet food,'Prescription Diet,' but It has fillers in it. Sometimes I'll mix half and half to help with the protein control.

Jenny Heart, May 6, 2012
  3. jenb128

jenb128 Member

I can't believe I forgot about Blue! I checked their website and saw a few flavors that should have good protein levels for my kitty, but I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what they suggest. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

jenb128, May 8, 2012
Ask a Question