Weight loss ideas for an overweight cat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by messlisa, May 8, 2013.

1. messlisa

messlisa Member

One cat of mine suffered from an injury. My husband found her when she was just a kitten in a bag full of other kittens across from his business in an open field. Someone had thrown them out while going down the road. She was the only one who survived. Her foot was disfigured and the Vet could not fix it, but she has adapted well and uses it to her advantage. It is now shaped like a hook and she picks up things good and plays with them. My concern is her weight. She is VERY healthy, or maybe not because she has gotten very fat after we had her fixed. Is there anything I can do since her movement is limited?

messlisa, May 8, 2013
  2. messlisa

steph84 Well-Known Member

Aw, poor kitty. It sounds like she has had a rough time. Maybe she is eating out of boredom because she can't get around that much. Try not to leave the bowl out all the time and just feed her in the morning and at night. Portion out her food. Perch her by a window so she has something to look at.and doesn't eat while she's bored.

steph84, May 18, 2013
  3. messlisa

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Maybe you could get her one of those cat toys that has a mechanical mouse that runs in a circle. A cat with one bad foot probably still wants to hunt, so it might keep her busy and make her move around a little.

It's wonderful that she survived the cruelty of her childhood and that you guys took her in. It sounds like you love her very much.

ACSAPA, Aug 2, 2013
  4. messlisa

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

You should try and get the cat a little bit of exercise, if she can't run, try other things that keep her active, even if it is just rolling around, i will help a lot! My two love to play with a toy I call the tickler, it is basically feathers on a stick. I move it back and forward and they dive from side to side trying to catch it. It is our bedtime toy, as it tires them out to sleep.

Also try switching the diet to a lower fat diet designed for overweight cats. Such things do exists funniliy enough, or even switching to a higher quality food with less filler.

Scottyxx, Aug 29, 2013
  5. messlisa

Trellum Well-Known Member

Poor kitteh! She had a very hard time! Sadly this is a really tricky question, because there isn't a way to really exercise a cat, at least not regularly and efficiently. Your best bet is to put her on a REALLY strict diet, so she doesn't eat as much as she wants. In the end it all goes down to how much she is eating... so try to feed her less. Try giving her several SMALL meals throughout the day, that way she might not feel starved.

Trellum, Oct 17, 2013
Ask a Question