The licks can suffice...but only for a time

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Anne, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Confession is good for the soul and I am confessing that for the months that my cat lived she probably had only one good bath.

As he grew and I tried to shower him, he would put up so much resistance, I would soon give up myself. I would then opt for some wet wipes which was a much easier cleaning method.

Then there was the licking. He would lick and lick and lick himself pretty clean as far as I was concerned. I have since read that you should get the cat used to water at a tender age and the amount of baths they get should be contingent on their coat.

Twinkle licked herself pretty clean, but on reflection, he should have had a few more baths.

Anne, Oct 22, 2014
  2. Anne

Trellum Well-Known Member

Aww, at least you tried :) The first time I gave a bath to my Bob he ran away behind some boxes, he hide there for a while and started meowing like crazy. It seemed like I was killing it, lol. I don't know why cats make such a big fuss when it comes to water!! He was pretty young back then, but maybe I should have started when he was just a little kitty.

Trellum, Oct 23, 2014
  3. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

My son would always remind me he gave the cat his one and only bath. At least like you said, I tried:). I have seen some really funny videos of cats and water and it often has not gone well.

I have a vague recollection of one actually being cooperative. If I am ever back fully into the cat life, I will approach it in a completely different way. As with our kids, we have to get them off to an early start.

Anne, Nov 10, 2014
  4. Anne

maryannballeras Member

I can feel you! Our cats hate baths as well and they just eventually resort to licking themselves clean. I still attempt to give them baths every now and then, but just like yours, they always resist so much.

maryannballeras, Dec 8, 2014
  5. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

Well my cat has "transitioned"; gone to greener pastures but he was no fan of water. I had these big plans to find a way to work with him to try to get him to come around. I have dogs as well so I was planning to have 'a day at the beach" at my house to see if I could make it a family outing:). Sadly, he left before my plans came to fruition.

He always looked so clean and as I said earlier a wipe off worked well sometimes. I see some of these "funny videos" with people trying to bathe the cats etc and still get sad my Twinkle did not get to shine more on this earth.

Anne, Dec 9, 2014
Ask a Question