Territorial cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by JES13, Aug 8, 2014.

1. JES13

JES13 Member

Long story short, Paddy, unknown to us at the time, was left outside to fend for herself and then the owners moved elsewhere...

When we finally caught her she was half/feral after being outdoors 24/7 for 2 years.... Took another 2 years for her to 'trust' people again, but she finally loves and 'trusts' us - had to let her be an indoor/outdoor kitty or I wouldn't have any door posts left.... Problem, when other neighbors get new cats - she literally goes for the kill....

She 'has to' behave with my other two (kitten) and older cat (15) cats and it appears I may now have to keep her and the male cat (not as bad) indoors <sigh> - she WILL get VERY moody and nasty if I don't let her out - anyone have any suggestions on this issue? Should I let her out and the other kittens will have to 'adjust', or keep her in and cope with her 'moods, as well as tearing up the door frames and walls? She's soooo loving now I'd hate to have her revert to how she was before. Thanks Declawing is NOT an option!

JES13, Aug 8, 2014
  2. JES13

Becky Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :)

That's a tricky situation, must be really difficult for you. I've heard of devices which limit where they can go - essentially you set a border around your garden and they cannot go beyond that border (their collar deters them). Might be worth a try?

Becky, Aug 11, 2014
  3. JES13

JES13 Member

Thanks Becky, that suggestion may work on dogs - dunno about cats (had that for my other dogs at one time) may be more apt to 'scare' her and she'll run 'through it' LOL - I gave up and gave in and they'll all, at this time have to deal with it :-(....

I just don't let her out when/if I know she just wants 'out' to chase someone....

Have a GREAT week <3

JES13, Aug 12, 2014
  4. JES13

JES13 Member

JES13, Aug 21, 2014
  5. JES13

JES13 Member

thanks, Becky, any way just gonna have to live with her that way, shortly after I wrote this a friend went down to Va and had a minor stroke, I picked up his (2) cats and they've been in my Bedroom for about a week - Paddy has been surprisingly GOOD! (in the house, perhaps it's just the 'outside' interlopers I dunno!) LOL - as for the thing with the collars - like we had for our dogs - don't think they would work on cats, since they would more likely 'bolt' through from the 'shock' of it - wouldn't even try those LOL... Have a GREAT week thanks again!

JES13, Aug 21, 2014
  6. JES13

Trellum Well-Known Member

Becky made a really good suggestion! Your situation is so difficult tho, I hope you manage to get everything solved soon. Can't be easy to deal with a semi feral cat at all. Best of luck!

Trellum, Aug 24, 2014
Ask a Question