Tags on indoor cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scottyxx, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

So because I am having a lot of people over and everyone seems to forget to shut the door I bought engraved tags for my cats. The issue I am having is Bandit is such a little smarty pants rebel he can take the tag off his collar, and can take his collar off.

He can unbuckle his collar with his paws, how this is even possible I do not know! So I switched his collar to a fabric one with a plastic clip, which he doesn't seem to be able to take off....

But now he has learned how to unravel a split ring!!! The little ring that came with the collar to attach it to the tag, he has unwound the metal, and took the tag off.

Has anyone else's cat done this? Does anyone else put tags on their cats? Any suggestions on how I can get him to leave his neck-wear alone?

Scottyxx, Feb 14, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

You'll just have to keep trying different rings and whatnot until one lasts unfortunately. Have you tried one that clips onto the collar instead of the spiral ring?

Or how about the ones where the info is right on the collar instead of a tag?

Holy cow. Do not google "name embedded on collar." That's what it was called on one of the sites I was looking at for an example, but the pictures are horrible accidents with graphic slit throats.

Instead, this is kind of what I mean:

[​IMG]

They're usually smaller than that and for cats, it'd be a tiny metal plate. So long as the collar has a clasp that your cat can't undo, then this eliminates the issue with the tag.

Jessi, Feb 14, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

Ah that might work, except the buckles on collars like that, he can unclip with his little paws. I don't know why he is so against collars right now! I have tried it on a smaller ring, but he is just so sneaky.

I shall not be googling that now...you have scared me!!

Scottyxx, Feb 14, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

shdws Well-Known Member

Jessi you weren't kidding about googling " name embedded on collar". WOW!

But anyhow, great suggestion on the collars with the information directly on them instead of tags.

shdws, Feb 14, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Wow, Bandit is determined to be untamed!! Our cats are indoor/outdoor so they have tags now no matter what. Jessi posted a super cool idea, you might have to just go with that and see about a different fastener.
    Is this like the fabric with plastic clip that you're using now?
    [​IMG]

We've used ones like these before but prefer the ones that are no-choke, easy-release in case they get caught on a fence or something while slinking 'round the yard.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 15, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

Yeah he cant take off that style ...for now....thats the one he has right now, but he took the bell and tag right off it.

Scottyxx, Feb 15, 2013
  7. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh, oh.

If you're using fabric (which yes, I know you said before, but it didn't really click until I saw the picture), you could sew a name tag onto it as well. Just use a thick embroidery needle and tack the corners on.

Jessi, Feb 15, 2013
  8. Scottyxx

That's a good idea Jessi! Never even thought of that! This is why I come to you guys! You guys know!

Scottyxx, Feb 15, 2013
    Jessi likes this.
  9. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

All of the advice here seems sound, but there's one thing I didn't see mentioned! I use dog collars for my cats for that same reason. They've never had an issue getting them caught on anything and they actually stay on. When I put cat collars on them, they always end up coming off and getting lost. The idea of sewing the name tag in seems brilliant, though, I would do that if I were you.

blurinoctober, Feb 27, 2013
Ask a Question