Strong Urine

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by steph84, Aug 19, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84 Well-Known Member

My little 6 month old kitty has strong urine odor and was wondering if this is some sort of infection? We just bought him healthy urinary tract food by Purina. Has anyone else had this issue? He drinks a lot of water and he likes it when I put ice cubes in his bowl. So I have been icing his water to get him to drink more of it.

steph84, Aug 19, 2012
  2. steph84

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Some cats have REALLY strong urine, but if you're worried, have him taken to the vet. There's a higher ammonia content in cat urine, which is why cat litter has to be so absorbent, and why they make odour neutralising litter. It never hurts to be sure though, if he has a UTI, you'll want to get that fixed right away.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
  3. steph84

steph84 Well-Known Member

Thanks evilsprinkles! He has been eating his special food and there was a huge difference the past couple of days! Super cute kitty on your avatar btw!

steph84, Aug 21, 2012
  4. steph84

Jessi Well-Known Member

So the food is helping then?

As Evil said, cats' urine does smell really strong...and male cats' urine is going to smell even stronger. Sometimes even just changing the kitty litter brand you use could help cut the smell from being so noticeable. If the food is helping, though, it sounds like maybe something was wrong after all.

Jessi, Aug 23, 2012
  5. steph84

Trellum Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it's better, I have noticed some foods make the pee of my Bob smell really strong! It wasn't until I changed it that my Bob's urine is not so strong.

Trellum, Sep 7, 2014
Ask a Question