Stereotypes About Cat Owners

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ACSAPA, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I was just watching a comedy series on IFC called Maron about a comedian named Marc Maron who does podcasts. Anyway, people on the show were calling him gay because he has 3 cats, Boomie, Monkey and Lafawnda.

When his friend, Denis Leary from Rescue Me ,was pointing out all the things about Marc that were feminine and wimpy, he brought up the cats.

Do you think it's unfair that cats have a reputation for being a woman's pet?
    And not just a woman's pet, a spinster's pet. People joke about how if a woman has a lot of cats, she'll die alone and never find a man. Nobody ever says that about dog owners. What is up with all the sexism about cats?

ACSAPA, Jun 18, 2013
  2. ACSAPA

mariposa Well-Known Member

I don't know what's up with it, but I've noticed it, too... you're right, guys usually aren't portrayed as being pet lovers, but I know quite a few of them. Not sure why TV and other places started doing that.

And yes about the "woman's pet" too... I haven't really noticed the spinster connection, but the "crazy cat lady" thing is very widespread.

I am a female, I have a cat, and I'm certainly not cra... uh, skip that. :p

mariposa, Jun 19, 2013
  3. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

For some reason there is a spinster connection. I don't know why people think women with cats can't find a man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ACSAPA, Jun 19, 2013
  4. ACSAPA

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

There are a lot of conflicting stereotypes about cats! I'm a lesbian and I here a lot of, "what IS with lesbians and being cat ladies?!", on top of the dying alone, and the gay man thing.

I honestly think it's because nobody wants to take cat people seriously, so they come up with a million belittling stereotypes. I don't know why, it's not like dogs are truly any better, nor are people who don't own any animals. It's just very, very strange!

blurinoctober, Jul 7, 2013
  5. ACSAPA

Trellum Well-Known Member

Ugh yeah, I hate those sterotypes!!!! I hate them with great passion! Sadly there still are many people out there who cats are a very femenine pet for some reason. I'm like... hello! Gay men also own dogs! I'm glad I'm not a guy, I'd probably have to hide I own a cat, lol. I live in a very macho country, where they usually assume a cat is a girly pet! That stereotype is alive and kicking there.

Trellum, Dec 16, 2013
Ask a Question