Spray

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LilAnn, May 25, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My cats have always been more outside cats than inside cats. Not to mention most of them have been female and fixed. Kittie kiss isn't fixed yet, and a majority of his time is spent indoors. I am pretty sure I already know the answer, but does anyone know the trick to dealing with the spray? He's been spraying in the bathroom a lot, and lets be honest, there aren't very many smells as horrible as that one.

LilAnn, May 25, 2015
  2. LilAnn

Trellum Well-Known Member

You need to fix it, there is no way around it really. Male cats will spray to mark their territory, so he won't stop until he is fixed. Stopping a cat from spraying is like asking water not to get you wet.

Trellum, May 25, 2015
  3. LilAnn

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I knew a guy whose mom raised show cats. They had close to 20, if not more at any given time. They never got fixed, either, because she bred them to sell them. He constantly smelled like spray. At work the manager even brought him a clean shirt in because he smelled so bad. He came to my house once when I lived with my parents. When he left the room they sprayed air freshner. How do you tell a good they smell bad? My cats always get fixed!!

LilAnn, May 26, 2015
  4. LilAnn

icekat Active Member

The problem is ongoing sometimes. If you don't have your male cat neutered BEFORE they start spraying, they will sometimes continue to spray even after they've been fixed. I learned this the hard way a long time ago. Now as soon as the vet says it's ok, we have our male kittens fixed. I don't think they all do this, but it's not worth risking it.

icekat, May 26, 2015
  5. LilAnn

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yes, that smell is terrible! Very easy to tell it's spray and it's so hard to get rid of, specially from certain places! Poor guy!!! It's never easy to tell someone they smell bad, because that will always end up hurting their feelings. I feel for him and his siblings... living in a house full of cats that aren't fixed. The poor guy was surely used to the smell already. So sad, that is why I don't like breeders so much... living in a house where cats are breed is a nightmare most of the time.

Trellum, May 27, 2015
Ask a Question