Specific cat foods for different ages and conditions

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jenny Heart, May 1, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Many cat owners tend to give their cats cheap cat foods, and don't even seem to care if the cat food is for kittens, or adult cats. I would recommend all cat owners to think about their cat's health the same as they do there own. Many cats have health conditions, and should be on high quality cat foods, to ensure them of a longer, and healthier life.

Jenny Heart, May 1, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I didn't specifically buy a special food for them as kittens. As the oldest has gotten older, though, I've definitely had to change her food a few times. She was having stomach issues, so we switched to a hairball control one for a while, and then to an "older cats" selection. The hairball one seems to be the best, even though she doesn't have issues specifically with that, but rather with throwing up in general.

Jessi, May 2, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

btatro Well-Known Member

If a cat refuses a new brand of food, how long should you keep trying before going back to the original?

btatro, May 4, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Try mixing it down. If they are hungry, they -will- eat, though, so it's not going to hurt them to skip a meal or two. Mixing it half and half, though, might help adjust them to the taste a bit easier so you can switch them over full time instead.

Jessi, May 4, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have a very simple diet plan for my cats. The kittens get kitten food, usually Whiskas. Then as they grow up, I slowly ease them into eating what all the big cats are eating, which is rice mixed with fish.

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Do you think they get enough nutrients from the fish and rice? And if so, then why do you use kitten food for them as youngsters instead?

Jessi, May 5, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

I like to look at the ingredients while shopping. I try to get them gluten free options. If the first ingredient is either water or some other weird thing they I pass. I have to be choosey because my Kitty Love gets upset stomachs all of the time.

steph84, May 6, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Well, all the cats in my area live basically on rice and fish. Some of them don't even know how to eat the cat food like Whiskas. Other people feed the kittens with rice and fish as soon as they are weaned. I feed them with cat food to give them a head start on life. I also give the adult cats Whiskas now and then but they like rice and fish much better. I don't think they suffer from any dietary deficiencies because they supplement their diet with all kinds of things which they can catch.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
Ask a Question