Sleepy Kitties... How Many Hours?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mariposa, May 5, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

How many hours per day does your cat sleep? I've heard all kinds of answers to the question of how long is considered "normal" behavior... and since there was such a difference in what I've read, I still don't know what the answer would be. :)

Our cat sleeps what seems like an excessive amount during the daytime but then is more active overnight when she's supposed to be sleeping like the rest of us.

mariposa, May 5, 2013
  2. mariposa

CatFour Active Member

I think I've read somewhere that cats will sleep on average about 16 hours a day. However, one of mine sleeps all of the time it seems. I've never seen a cat sleep as much as he does. But then again, he may be wide awake all night and I just don't know it. The other cats sleep on and off all day. I'm not really sure how many hours though.

CatFour, May 6, 2013
  3. mariposa

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats love to sleep! They seem to basically nap the whole day away. Sometimes they just lay there eyes open watching me, so I guess that doesn't count as sleep, but wow, they sure are lazy! They will play from time to time, and whenever I call them, sleeping or not, they will come running and figure its either food or tickle time.

Scottyxx, May 6, 2013
  4. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that ours isn't the only cat who seems to think nothing is better than sleeping during the daytime. :) She has her favorite snooze-spots, too... like right now she's in her favorite bed, an Amazon box that seems much too small for her, but it's one of her favorite places to sleep.

mariposa, May 8, 2013
  5. mariposa

Mine like to sleep either in bed with me or on top of the fridge. Pussington will snuggle into any tiny box she sees, just like your cat. Once she is in the box there is no getting her out. Sometimes we get a box and sit it on the ground and say "Pussington, Box!" and she runs over and drives into it claiming it as her box.

Scottyxx, May 10, 2013
  6. mariposa

jacobf5 Member

My cat is two and a half and he sleeps exactly the same time that we do at night. He goes to bed at around ten and wakes up at around six. He sleeps for about one or two hours during the day also sometimes, and he has days when he sleeps for a little longer, but these are rare.

jacobf5, May 18, 2013
  7. mariposa

Jacobf5 when your cat wakes up, does it wake you up? Mine have become so needy lately, so when they wake up, they wake up me for cuddles and attention!

Scottyxx, May 23, 2013
  8. mariposa

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

They'll doze almost constantly! Alice is a kitten, so she sleeps the most, and I'm going to say it's more towards the 16 hour mark. She'll take naps and get really hyper and attack everything in between. Sibyl sleeps less, but she also gets less hyper. I'm going to say both of those things are because she's older. She's only three, so not even old, but not a kitten anymore. Less sleep has got to be normal for her.

blurinoctober, May 25, 2013
  9. mariposa

jules Active Member

I am not sure how long my cat sleeps for but it's definitely not 16hours. During the day, it just looks out the window and maybe take a short nap and then it just lazes around. It's always alert though and when I make the slightest movements,it's awake immediately. Even at night, when I am sleeping, it does sleep too but it likes to go out either to eat or drink. I'll say he probably sleeps less than eight hours a day.

jules, Jun 4, 2013
  10. mariposa

Epicfied Well-Known Member

All of my cats sleep quite a bit. They sleep the majority of the day and night (I think).
    They're awake quite a bit but I'm pretty sure they have more sleeping hours than active.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  11. mariposa

Rachael Member

Mine tended to sleep more and more as she got older. Is this normal?

Rachael, Jun 5, 2013
  12. mariposa

Epicfied Well-Known Member

I think that's completely normal. As I grow older, I want more sleep too!
    They're no longer energetic little kittens.

Epicfied, Jun 5, 2013
  13. mariposa

TheBrit Member

Cats are normally more active at night. They a still hunters by nature and the cats hunting time is night, it's why they have such good night vision. So hunt at night sleep during day, well most of it. Doesn't seem to work for me, when I go hunting at night still have to be awake daytime. Good life these cats have got.

TheBrit, Jun 21, 2013
  14. mariposa

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Yes, cats are lucky. They sleep when they're tired ,or just when they feel like it. Us mere mortals still have to be awake during the day and conform to a day schedule when businesses are open.

ACSAPA, Jun 21, 2013
  15. mariposa

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how many hours my Bob sleeps, but I know he sleeps at night mostly, he loves taking a nap during the day :) He is such a diva! He actually loves taking a nap several times a day. I'm glad he is not a night owl :)

Trellum, Dec 27, 2013
Ask a Question