Sitting on keyboards

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Gah!

I know I'm not alone here....cats LOVE keyboards. Actually, they love just about anything that's going to be sitting in front of you...papers, books, clothes, whatever, lol.

But um, it gets rather old trying to clean the cat hair out from in between my keys. :( Anybody else have issues with that?

Jessi, Apr 16, 2012
  2. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat loves to watch the visualizer on iTunes! He goes nuts listening to music and pawing at the screen. My cat refuses to walk around my laptop. He just jumps right on it when he wants to walk across the bed.

steph84, Apr 18, 2012
  3. Jessi

magickat Well-Known Member

Compressed air is a good way to clean out your keyboard. My cats love sitting on my laptop, I sometimes wonder if they are trying to order something online lol

magickat, Apr 19, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My cat likes to rub on the corners of my laptop. i think they're marking their territory. One of my cats especially likes to put his face over my books that I'm reading. If I stop him for too many days, he'll stay away from me for a while. He gets jealous often, but he gets over it in a few days.

Jenny Heart, Apr 19, 2012
  5. Jessi

btatro Well-Known Member

Do you have a laptop? There are nice gel-like keyboard covers you can get for those. I have a Macbook and have the keys covered, really works very nice. Here is a photo:
    [​IMG]

btatro, Apr 21, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ooo, I really like the look of that cover. Does it effect your typing much? I'm currently on a regular keyboard, but they're much easier to clean than a laptop keyboard anyway. I end up having to remove the keys individually on my laptop to remove things under them....and well, cat hair has actually be wrapped around the little rubber buttons underneath and caused keys to stop working!

Jessi, Apr 21, 2012
  7. Jessi

Anna T Active Member

My cats don't do that when they're inside, but I can imagine it would be a huge pain to clean out! I like the way that cover looks. That would be good for me anyway because of all the snacking that goes on at my computer. It would help with the crumbs.

Anna T, Apr 22, 2012
  8. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If that gel-like keyboard cover is not available, you can always make do with the shrink-wrap thin plastic which is usually used to wrap fruits and vegetables. Much cheaper, too.

Victor Leigh, Apr 22, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

^ That would be okay if I'm not using the keyboard. I would think a shrink wrap would just bust open or get pulled loose if I tried typing with it on, wouldn't it? Maybe no, hmm. Now I'm going to have to try that out.

Jessi, Apr 22, 2012
  10. Jessi

magickat Well-Known Member

Another problem I have noticed is their fascination with the power cable and they keep trying to chew the very rubbery bit where it goes into the laptop. Not a healthy habit and one I am ardently putting a stop to!

magickat, Apr 23, 2012
  11. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. Shrink wrap is actually very elastic. An added bonus is that it sticks to itself so you don't have to use any adhesive to keep it in place. Just cut a piece a bit longer than your keyboard. Then wrap it tightly from the front to the back. Turn the keyboard over. The edges of the shrink wrap should be overlapping. Just pull one side down and pull the other side over it. Done. If you don't have sharp nails, you should be good for about a month.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  12. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

My cats don't seat on my keyboard because I've got a laptop and that would be the highest crime :p But they like to walk sometimes on my computer and leave some fur....

violino, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question