Siberian Woman Charged for Killing Husband to Protect Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by CinnamonKiss, Mar 4, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Here's the full article so you can form an opinion:
    What do you think? What would you do in that situation?
    I feel like this is one very extreme case! I would have just divorced him and took the cat with me, rather than killing him. In fact, I wouldn't have married someone who wouldn't want to keep the cat in the first place but questions like that might not have come up for this couple. I think that man also acted in a crazy extreme way and so did she. The cat wasn't bothering anyone or anything and this guy just hauls off and decides to kill the poor cat. This could have all been avoided. :(

Source: LifeWithCats

CinnamonKiss, Mar 4, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like the alcohol probably had more to do with this incident than anything else. While sober, I highly doubt the man would've tried to kill the cat like that....and I highly doubt the woman would have stabbed him. They were likely arguing and things were already intense, so they both overreacted. How unfortunate. :(

Jessi, Mar 7, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Oh, wow. I don't think I would kill anyone over a cat, but I would certainly freak out if someone, even someone I loved, threatened to kill one for any reason. I can't promise I wouldn't get physical if I was drunk, but I don't think murder would come to mind at all. I feel sorry for everyone involved in this situation!

blurinoctober, Mar 7, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

She didn't have time to divorce him. He had the rake in his hand and was minutes away from killing the cat. By the time you went through divorce proceedings the cat would be long dead.

Immediate action was needed so there are two possible ways I would have approached it.

A. I would have knocked the husband out with a blunt object, taken the cat and driven away to find a place to spend the night.

or
    B. I would have run from the husband, locked myself in a room with the cat, barricaded the door, and called the police on him.

Either way, I hope she gets downgraded to manslaughter because she was basically trying to protect a helpless animal and she only had a few seconds to decide what to do.

ACSAPA, Mar 8, 2013
  5. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

By the way, I just read a related article linked to the one you posted about a woman in Texas who shot her husband to protect her cat, and one of the people who commented made an interesting point. A husband who will kill a family pet has "abuser" written all over him and the wife might have been next.
    I hope the Siberian woman's lawyer mentions that point.

ACSAPA, Mar 8, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

That is horrible. We don't know the situation. He might have been abusive and she really believed he would follow through with his threats if he was abusive to his wife. This is just unfortunate all around. I'm sure she had a strong bond with her cat. It just goes to show how people will do anything for their cats.

steph84, Mar 8, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very true. There are tons of studies that link animal abuse to abuse of other people. Even as a kid....if someone has a history of torturing animals, it says things about what they grow up into later. For all we know, these wives may have put up with abuse otherwise and they knew full well that if they didn't do something, they would kill their pets. I think we would all do the same thing for our kids, so it doesn't really surprise me that much.

Jessi, Mar 8, 2013
Ask a Question