Should Cat Declawing Be Banned? In Israel it is now!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alli, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Alli

Alli Well-Known Member

At the end of November, Israel passed a law banning declawing of cats. The punishment is a fine equivalent to US $20,000 and a year in jail. Do you think this would be a good idea where you live? Or is cat declawing already banned locally (some California cities ban it and some European countries)
    Is the punishment set by Israel appropriate?

Alli, Jan 4, 2012
  2. Alli

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Yes!! There is absolutely no reason to declaw a cat. If you'd rather traumatize your cat than teach them how to not scratch your furniture, then you don't deserve an animal anyway. I think it's appropriate punishment since I view declawing as a form of animal abuse.

Belligerent, Jan 5, 2012
  3. Alli

Becky Well-Known Member

It is illegal here in the UK and considered inhumane. I think the Israeli punishment is quite severe, but it would definitely prevent people doing it!

Becky, Jan 6, 2012
  4. Alli

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

A lot of vets are not doing declawing here in my state either. I think it is sad, and breaks my heart for the cats. I have to be honest, we did it to one cat 18 years ago and we still have her inside the house... but I will never declaw again!

Wahcashmom, Jan 7, 2012
  5. Alli

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Sounds harsh but then again, no one has been forced to declaw a cat. Neither is declawing a cat an accident. So I think it's a good deterrent. If only we have something equally drastic to deter rapists or pedophiles.

Victor Leigh, Jan 8, 2012
  6. Alli

steph84 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that Israel is making a great move towards protecting their cats. If only they would do that here in the U.S. then things would be just peachy. There is no need to declaw a cat and it's horrible that people still do it these days.

steph84, Jan 11, 2012
  7. Alli

magickat Well-Known Member

Declawing cats should definitely be banned. There is no reason for this cruel practise to be carried out and it is simply damaging to the animals concerned.

magickat, Jan 21, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  8. Alli

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

There definitely is a reason to declaw a cat. And if you talk with any vet about it, you will find it is NOT the agonizing procedure bandied about by so many. My cats are indoor cats and I love them dearly, but I am not going to have a stinky house, so would not tolerate a cat urinating in anything but the litter box and I don't want my couch and chairs to be shredded. They have a natural tendency to scratch even with no claws, and even when you give them scratching posts and let them outside to use trees. I have never seen a house yet with a cat who has claws that doesn't have some damage. My cats do not miss them, did not suffer (the youngest was running around playing the day back from the vet) and I am tired of all this false nonsense about damaging them. Ask the professionals if you don't believe me.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 30, 2012
  9. Alli

Cats that are declawed are MORE likely to urinate on furniture and outside of the litter box. This is because the procedure IS really painful for cats and when they go to use the litter box the litter hurts their paws (right after being declawed) so many do not use the litter box again.

Of course the vets aren't going to tell you it's bad because they want the money. Period.

Come take a look at my apartment.. I have no damage to any of my furniture. Train your cats instead of going the lazy way and getting them a procedure that is painful and traumatizing.

There are a lot of professionals who are against declawing cats.. it's not simply taking off the nail, it is the equivalent of cutting off a human's fingers at the knuckle (because if they were to just remove the nail, it would grow back). It's sick and unnecessary just because you want unscratched furniture.

Belligerent, Jan 30, 2012
    magickat likes this.
  10. Alli

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

You really are belligerent aren't you? You are way off base here, and very under educated about the procedure...I would have seen those things you described and have never never seen a bit of discomfort even immediately after...and I have found there are several types of pet owners....all types truly love their animals, but some types are almost ridiculous in their crusades and accusations and think they are the only ones who know anything at all...I prefer intelligent discussions and open-mindedness, therefore this is my last post on this forum. too much animosity here.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 30, 2012
  11. Alli

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Wow, another heated topic! I have never had my cats declawed. It does seem like it would be painful.

My house at first had some damage but my husband is a carpenter and we found ways to fix things and make them so they can't do it again. LOL Like for instance Booger likes to scratch on door frames, my husband uses this metal trim that he paints and it looks just like wood but it's metal so no damage. In my bathrooms we have ceramic tile on the walls so no damage. I think having animals or kids too you have to expect a little wear and tear on your house and so you just fix it. My son used to bite and my coffee table when he was cutting teeth the marks are still there but I wouldn't consider pulling his teeth out. Just sayin'...

SheWolfSilver, Jan 30, 2012
  12. Alli

Well goodbye. If you can't handle a bit of criticism, then you shouldn't be on the internet. No, not all animals react the same way & you are lucky enough that yours did not react badly, but I have personally seen cats go from being perfectly potty-trained to using the floor as a litter box right after the declawing procedure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used to be fine with declawing.. in fact, I had all my cats declawed until I got educated on the subject. I suggest you do the same.

Belligerent, Jan 31, 2012
  13. Alli

magickat Well-Known Member

Might be just as well as I am beginning to wonder why you have cats. You don't think they should be let out and you have them declawed - sounds like you would be better off with stuffed toys. Putting the furniture before your pets is frankly ridiculous.

magickat, Feb 1, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  14. Alli

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Very much against declawing cats. The surgical procedure removes the first knuckle with the claw. It is just so much more civilized to give our cats lots of stuff to scratch on, because it is a natural behavior for our feline friends. I don't like the idea that a cat gets shot up with enough pain killer to knock out an elephant just so they don't notice the tips of their fingers are missing.

Let's all reduce the use of toxic chemicals such as nail polish in women by chopping off the tips of their fingers...all in favor raise their hands.

Kay Dougall, Jan 19, 2016
  15. Alli

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I think it should be banned also. There is no good reason for having a cat declawed. My oldest cat is declawed. He was that way when I adopted him. People need to be educated on the procedure.

Susan Brown, Jan 23, 2016
  16. Alli

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow... I had no idea there were people out there who did such a thing to their cats! How cruel! I'd never like to see my in laws cat declawed, even though he is a big meanie who never retracts his claws! Awful!

Trellum, Jan 29, 2016
Ask a Question