Securing window screen panels

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by footballtim, Sep 9, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Are your window screen panels secure enough that you are confident enough to leave the house with the windows open? You especially need to ask yourself this if you live above the first floor. If your cat is at all capable of knocking the screen panel out of the window, catastrophe could happen.

My screen panels are supposed to be secure, but they are not, so I secured them myself. I cleaned the window sill. Then I used packing tape. Some of the pieces went from the bottom of the outside of the panel to the window sill. Then I covered the pieces on the window sill with a lot more packing tape. Believe me, those panels are secure now.

footballtim, Sep 9, 2012
  2. footballtim

S.O. Price Active Member

I am really paranoid about this too. I usually only leave my windows open only an inch or two just because I would be devastated if I lost one of my cats. My cats would really have to put some muscle into it if they wanted to get the window open enough so that they could crawl out.

If I have to leave the house I shut the windows too.

S.O. Price, Sep 10, 2012
  3. footballtim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine are now. At a previous place we lived, though, no, they weren't. We just wouldn't open those windows. Or we would open them, but then keep the doors to those rooms shut so that the cats didn't get in there to begin with.

Jessi, Sep 10, 2012
  4. footballtim

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

We actually have some bars across the window in our main room, because Zod is a housecat, and we can't have him trying to make a bid for freedom. They're adjustable because they're meant for drying clothing out a window. Instead of doing that, we can adjust them to fit the width of our window tightly, so the little fuzzball can't get out. Our flat gets hot in summer, so we need to be able to keep the window open.

It's worked very well so far.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 10, 2012
  5. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

My friend just came home to her cat on the roof the other day, which we were both laughing about. They sell screen protectors you can put up, but they are kind of unsightly. We had to put one up on the door to our garage when we had dogs, because they would get so excited when someone came home they would jump at the screen and damage it. With our cats now, we just don't put a screen in the bottom window of the door, we leave the glass (which they claw at incessantly).

OhioTom76, Sep 13, 2012
  6. footballtim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oops! That would scare the crap out of me. How did your friend end up getting the cat down? Or did it come down on its own?

Jessi, Sep 13, 2012
  7. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

She had to go to her bedroom window and call him back in. He's a good cat, came right back in. She's got him and another female cat, they're both fixed but they're practically like boyfriend/girlfriend. They play with each other all day. Well there's this male stray cat that's been handing around her house, whom she feeds sometimes (outside). But her male cat flips out whenever he's around and starts hissing at the door like crazy. I'm wondering if he was scoping out the yard or something lol.

OhioTom76, Sep 14, 2012
  8. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I have reason to be paranoid, my cats are just too damn smart, pussington worked out how to escape!

During summer she would always sit with my boyfriend at the computer at the open window, she started pushign the screen, so she stood up, hooked her claws in, and shook it around, she shook it clean out the window! She then paused for a second then made her escape, she went running out the window!!

My boyfriend nearly had a heart attack, but he quickly followed her and grabbed her!

Luckily for him it was not our other cat, as the other cat, he would have been right up the tree!!

Scottyxx, Sep 18, 2012
Ask a Question