Sardines

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Belligerent, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Belligerent

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Every time I open a pouch of sardines, my kitty wants to eat them! Is this okay? The kind I have are no salt added and they are in spring water so they are as close to the natural source as possible. Right now I feed her 1/4 of a sardine, though of course she wants more. If they are safe to feed her, how much should I feed her?

Belligerent, Dec 2, 2011
  2. Belligerent

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I have given my cats sardines several times before and they love them. I can not remember if mind has salt or not, but they sure did love them. It was like they went crazy, and could not get enough.. really funny!

Wahcashmom, Dec 2, 2011
  3. Belligerent

That's good to hear! The first few times I ate sardines, she sniffed them but wouldn't eat them. One time she just decided to start chomping on them and fell in love. Now she comes meowing as soon as I open the can.. it's her favorite food. She used to like tuna, but now she rarely eats it because she prefers sardines.

Belligerent, Dec 2, 2011
  4. Belligerent

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Low salt is good and be sure the sardines are packed in nothing but water. :)

My cat likes them too, and he's used to eating raw food now so sardines don't face him. I don't know if sardines in the can are raw tho, but I eat them too. ;)

MaxKitteh, Dec 7, 2011
  5. Belligerent

I figured that any added oils and salt wouldn't be good for her.. so I just give her the ones in a pouch with no salt and packed in spring water. :)

Hmm.. well I don't know if sardines are considered raw. I hear that they go through a cooking process in the tin because of the salt, but I'm not sure. I eat in the kind in pouches.. so who knows? lol

Belligerent, Dec 7, 2011
  6. Belligerent

magickat Well-Known Member

Sardines in water are fine for your cat and actually very good for them - the smell drives mine wild and they even know the sound of the tin opening. Sardines contain lots of healthy natural oils which cats may not get from other sources. I have read that you can give them cod liver oil too.

magickat, Dec 15, 2011
    Belligerent likes this.
  7. Belligerent

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I am not sure my cats would like them. They had a canned food which was mostly sardines and some rice, pretty natural (for a canned food that is).
    They hated it and one of my cats even vomited shortly after. So I am not keen on trying sardines again any time soon.

Yolanda, Dec 17, 2011
  8. Belligerent

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I don't have any problems with sardines mainly because I don't eat it. Green Seven does kind of go into a feeding frenzy when he smells salted fish, though. Luckily he's satisfied with even just a little bit.

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
Ask a Question