Rude cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by S.L.Diamond, Apr 26, 2013.

1. S.L.Diamond

S.L.Diamond Member

So I'll get straight to the point. Chloe, is just over a year old and I think shes really rude. Whenever I go over to her to pet her, she tries to dodge my hand and sometimes even if shes sleeping and I pet her, she will get up take a few steps and then lie back down. So I follow her and pet her again and she gets up finds a corner and lies back down.
    She will do this until I leave her alone.
    Sometimes I could just be talking to her (It's not as crazy as it sounds, lol.) and she will turn her head in the opposite direction or if she is near the curtain, she will tuck her head behind it as if shes trying to get away from me. She is just so rude! I don't know, maybe she experienced some terrible trauma as a kitten, but when shes ready for petting she's all over you. (which is not that often) I think she's just rude. Will she change? Does anyone else have a cat like this?

S.L.Diamond, Apr 26, 2013
  2. S.L.Diamond

mariposa Well-Known Member

It's not rudeness... it sounds as if she's been abused. How old was she when you got her? Could a former owner have abused her?

And while cats may like a soft stroking on their head, they often don't like a "patting" motion around the head because it intimidates them. Some cats like a lot of attention and some are aloof.

mariposa, Apr 26, 2013
  3. S.L.Diamond

Trace Member

It's pretty normal, really. Cats want affection on their terms. Their reactions to petting will vary from person to person, and even time of day. One of mine is rather like that, in that she wants specific kinds of pettings, when she wants them, and will dodge if she's not getting what she wants or if she's not in the mood to be affectionate. She will almost never refuse a brush, but sometimes she wants a rough, playful petting, other times she wants just to have her face or neck petted lightly.

Your cat might change her patterns as she gets older. I had one long ago that would rarely allow anyone to pet her, though she would come and sit nearby (or occasionally on me). And forget picking her up--that wasn't going to happen. As she aged, though, she started wanting more physical affection.

Trace, Apr 26, 2013
  4. S.L.Diamond

S.L.Diamond Member

I don't think her last owner would have harmed her on purpose, she is kind of obsessed with cats. Her facebook profile picture, is of a cat lol. Maybe she was dropped by accident or something, but Chloe is very standoff-ish character. She was about four months old, so not too young.:)

Yes, when she's not in the mood for petting she does seem to find close contact overbearing. I was hoping she would change a little and become more of a hand cat, because she's so fluffy and cute.

S.L.Diamond, Apr 27, 2013
  5. S.L.Diamond

S.L.Diamond Member

Hmmm, I guess it's just Chloe's personality, she's just very delicate. She doesn't like loud noises and whenever someone comes to visit the house she runs upstairs to hide, she won't even come down to eat. I'm glad to see she's not the only cat like that isn't always so affectionate.

I do hope she changes as she is really chubby and so cute to cuddle, lol. Yes I have noticed that she will sit in the same room as me and does things to get my attention, but she doesn't necessarily want a petting. I guess she just wants some acknowledgment that she's in the room.:rolleyes:

S.L.Diamond, Apr 27, 2013
  6. S.L.Diamond

glitteringfuzz Member

Most people adopt cats because they don't need much attention. The thing is, if an owner ignores them most of the time, they'll learn to adapt and they won't like a lot of attention. Maybe the previous owner just wasn't very hands-on with her. By gently encouraging her to be social, you could have a lovable fur baby in your lap before you know it! If all else fails, get some cat nip. We all need a release now and then right? :D

glitteringfuzz, Apr 27, 2013
  7. S.L.Diamond

S.L.Diamond Member

Yea thats true, I didn't think of that. Thanks for your feedback. :)

Haha, yes I will try that! I have to say one of the only times you have her full attention is when there is food around, she's so greedy. Most of the time she will act like I don't even exist, but if there is food she will sit down in front of me and just stare up, hoping I will give her some of my food. It doesn't matter if she had just eaten she will do it anyway, I feel so used lol.

S.L.Diamond, Apr 28, 2013
  8. S.L.Diamond

Yiddo Active Member

Sounds pretty normal, I don't think it's being rude.

Yiddo, Apr 30, 2013
  9. S.L.Diamond

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

You cannot really judge a cat by human standards of politeness. Cats are generally more solitary animals than dogs. They come to people when they want attention. If they want to be by themselves, then they will make that quite clear. A cat is not likely to understand that a human might regard this as "rude".

GavinMcresty, May 2, 2013
  10. S.L.Diamond

Lilly&May Member

Chloe is making you work for her affection. My cat Daisy that I have rescued as a kitten will straight up diss-me when I get back from vacation. She won't eat while I am gone yet she will throw up on my pillow... Only mine not my husbands. She makes me beg and I resort to bribery to get her affection back. After a vacation, I will walk into the room and she will get up and turn to face the other way and then lay back down lol ... that is just rude.

Lilly&May, May 31, 2013
  11. S.L.Diamond

jose26425 Member

I don't believe it is weird at all. Cats have personalities just like humans do. There are people who simply crave (or even tolerate) more affection than others. Furthermore, there are people who hate to be touched. Cats are the exact same way. I have two cats; neither are exceptionally old and are relatively close in age. One cat loves the cuddle, will come when called, and loves to be shown affection. The other chooses to accept affection on his own terms. Trying to approach him and pet him when he hasn't come to you will result in your feelings getting hurt. Your situation is perfectly normal if you ask me.

jose26425, Jun 15, 2013
  12. S.L.Diamond

Jezebella Member

It may help if you start listening to the messages she is giving you. If she's moving away from you when you do a certain thing you could try respecting her need for space. I know it's hard when we want some pet affection and they won't give it. Once she understands that you are willing to listen to her language she may get more friendly. Later perhaps offer her a treat by hand. Maybe see if she would enjoy engaging with you in a hunting type playtime. Keep affection and playtime seperate, but sometimes playtime can increase a cats confidance, which can make them less shy. Good luck.

Jezebella, Jun 25, 2013
  13. S.L.Diamond

Trellum Well-Known Member

My cat was stolen by some kids... he remained far away from me for some months. I'm quite sure he was abused because he came back really skinny, and when I grabbed him I could tell it hurt him a little! But he never did what your cat Chloe did, he was actually very affectionate towards me.

I really think your cat has an antisocial personality, I once had a kitten that was like that... it ran away one day :D and to be honest I wasn't sad at all. That kitten didn't like me to pet it at all, he seemed to be so sick of me for no aparent reason. In my experience, I've learnt that each cat has a different personality, and sadly... that's something that you just can't change. Because cats aren't like dogs... you can't really train them to ''behave'' or be more pleasant. Sadly, I think your cat will stay this way :(

Trellum, Oct 1, 2013
Ask a Question