Pet or cuddle your cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jenny Heart, May 6, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Do you hold your cat, or just pet them while they're setting beside you. I've read that cats like to be petted, but not held. All my cats prefer to be petted, but not held down. They will not stay with me long if I hold them down. They will stay with me forh ours, if I just pet them, and not trying to make them feel confined. Pets are like people, and people don't like to be forced in to doing anything either..

Jenny Heart, May 6, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

My sister's cat loves to be held. She wants to be cuddled, held, carried around, whatever. She did that with her since she was a kitten, though, so now she expects and craves it. My cat has absolutely no interest in being held whatsover, and sometimes doesn't even want to be held more than a few seconds, ha.

Jessi, May 6, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

I got a new kitty a few weeks ago and this baby does not let me put him down. He cries and cries if he isn't held! He even likes to be rocked to sleep. It's like having an infant in the house. Now that he is a little older and more adventurous, he likes to jump onto people's pant legs and freaks out. He climbed up me when I was wearing running pants the other day. It was the most cute, but painful thing in the world!

steph84, May 6, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

My cat's doesn't like neither. Usually. I mean they let me do this (both, cuddle and hold) but if they can they usually go their own way. But I noticed that it's like magnet - whenever they're close to me I just HAVE TO touch them, cuddle a little bit. Not for them, for myself;)

violino, May 6, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Most of my cats like to sit on my lap but not be held. I have a friend who has a Chinchilla which refuses to be touched any how. It's very big tom and it's demonstrates its displeasure about being touched with very sharp claws. I found out the hard way.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I know that "chinchilla" is a breed of cats, but I'm not used to people referring to cat breeds unless it's Siamese or Persian usually....very rarely are any others mentioned.

So every time I see you mention them, I always think of actual chinchillas:

[​IMG]

Jessi, May 6, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

A Chinchilla looks very much like a Persian. Just a bit stouter and the hair is a bit shorter. Well, the one that I have seen is any way.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 9, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Actually, they're quite similar now that I look again..

[​IMG]

Both just fat, furry, snugglers, ha.

Jessi, May 11, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Great comments about petting or cuddling. I can see where kittens might want to b e held due to the fact they even need more security during this delicate time. All of mine love attention, but they don't like to be held.

Jenny Heart, May 11, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I have one cat that is very tense and hardly likes to be petted for more than a min or two. The other one likes to be cradled like a baby when he goes to sleep. Neither of them liked to be picked up though.

HappyRocinante, May 11, 2012
  11. Jenny Heart

tajnz Well-Known Member

I guess whether a cat enjoys being held depends on how it was raised. If it was held a lot as a kitten it will probably enjoy it as an adult as previous posters have commented on. However in general I believe you’re right if I visit friend’s homes and they have cats I won't hold them down but let them come to me. Some climb on me but they don't just sit there like dogs and prefer to move around the room before coming back for more attention.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
  12. Jenny Heart

CatMomma Member

My cat is rather heavy so I don't pick her up too often, she dislikes to be held for very long. She doesn't like cuddling, and petting seems to be her idea of bonding moreso than cuddling by far.

CatMomma, Jun 5, 2012
  13. Jenny Heart

Rasputin Member

I find that most cats don't like being picked up but I can't resist trying sometimes because they're just so cute, cuddly and fluffy that I just wanna hold em and kiss em forever. lol

I used to know a cat named Simba that loved being held though. He was a beautiful cat with golden fur, hence the name.

Rasputin, Jun 8, 2012
  14. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

Snow doesn't like to be held or cuddled. She'll sit on my tummy or lap, but that's about it. Azzario like to be picked up and cuddled for a few second and then, he'll wiggle out of it. The newest in the family, Zopie, he likes to be picked up and cuddled. Out of the three cats, Zopie is the one that sleeps the closest to me, usually on my left and never in betwee my fiancé and I.

Mystique, Jun 17, 2012
  15. Jenny Heart

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My past cats used to be affectionate and like being held and petted. My current cat Dolores is grouchy and doesn't like to be held or petted for too long. She finds my love annoying and just wants me to bring her food and leave her to it.

ACSAPA, Jul 20, 2012
  16. Jenny Heart

Most of the time they do that. However I have met one that was different. I went with a group of friends for a study session at an old teacher's house. He had a long-haired cat. It just came up to me and laid down to sleep on my lap the whole time I was there. Just like it's the most natural thing to do.

Victor Leigh, Jul 21, 2012
Ask a Question