Pet cat saves boy from dog that was attacking him (with video) (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Trellum, May 15, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Will Lerner

Surveillance video outside a home in Bakersfield, California shows that a young boy was riding his bicycle when a dog came around a parked car and started to attack him. As KERO ABC23 reports, he was saved by an unlikely hero – his pet cat, Tara. Before you watch the video, you should know there are images of the bite marks at the end that could be deemed disturbing by some viewers.

Tara the cat raced over and pounced at the dog, before chasing it away. The boy’s mother, Erica Triantafilo, then raced over to her son. KGET 17 News reports that Ms. Triantafilo told them that the, “dog was still hanging around and she tried to chase it away and it bit her as well.” KERO says that her son had to get stitches, but that he will be fine and that the dog belongs to a neighbor and is now, “under observation.”

More...

Trellum, May 15, 2014
  2. Trellum

wahmed Active Member

It just shows, give an animal a little affection and their loyal to the end

wahmed, Mar 18, 2015
  3. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

For whatever reason I could not see the video but it sounds like a happy ending story which are the ones I like to hear. I read of a cat saving an owner some time back. At the time it came as a pleasant surprise knowing how most of the stories of saving owners are related to dogs.

I hope it turned out well for the ALL involved.

Anne, Mar 18, 2015
  4. Trellum

Sorry about that Anne, I guess they removed the video from that web site, it happens sometimes. You can find it on YouTube :) I was amazed when I watched this video, the cat risked its own physical well being to save the boy from being viciously bitten by that dog. Last time I checked everyone was fine :)

Trellum, Mar 24, 2015
  5. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I found it I think. It was on CNN? How did I miss that? I used to be a CNN addict. The scene looks weird. Where did that dog just appear from?!?! The cat was outstanding. When stuff like that happens it makes you happy on the one hand and sad on the other. Happy that the child was not further injured and happy for the cat's heroic act. Sad for this dog and what will happen to him? They are saying he's a goner. Sometimes I wish I understood what makes them do such horrible things. Is this the video?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Anne, Mar 24, 2015
  6. Trellum

Yeah, this is the video :O Amazing the amount of damage that dog did during those few seconds! Can't imagine what would have happened if this had continued a bit longer! I think that dog is gone, in the US they take that kind of things seriously. I feel bad for the dog, he wasn't educated properly, I think, the owner knowing that should have been more careful not to let him out.

Trellum, Mar 25, 2015
  7. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I don't even know how something like that would be treated in my country. I think we have a long way to go in relation to the conversation about animals. There are so many things just left out there. I know what the dog did was terrible, but how I wish it could be helped. It looks so unreal what happened in what seemed like seconds like you said.

Anne, Mar 25, 2015
  8. Trellum

I honestly blame the owners, not the dog... I mean, the dog did what he did, but the owners didn't educate him well. If they had socialized him properly odds are he'd not have done that.

If the dog is gone, maybe that is a good thing, because people often fail to keep their dogs locked when needed (seen that happen often) and then a kid is mauled badly or even killed. If I lived in that neighborhood I'd not feel safe with a dog like that around, specially if I had kids... it's sad, but people getting dogs of a big size should learn more about how to socialize them properly...

Trellum, Mar 26, 2015
  9. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Which goes right back to the fact that not everyone should own a dog. That's the bottom line I think. I keep trying to tell my son this. Sometimes I sit and think of all the dogs I have been exposed to and I honestly think I didn't do a great job until these most recent years. Even with my big dog, I keep worrying about "what if" and shudder at the thought of him injuring someone. The other day I came home and the gate was opened and to this day we can't understand why as it is always well secured. I don't have to tell you how relieved I was to find her on the inside. I don't think she is as dangerous as people think, actually she isn't but still I worry.

Anne, Mar 26, 2015
  10. Trellum

Oh no! Maybe someone forgot to close the gate when they were leaving in a rush? Glad to hear nothing bad happened. Actually my mom had a very vicious dog, but again, that was because he wasnt socialized properly. I saw it with my own eyes... no wonder that dog ended up attacking my best friend :( I lost my best friend thanks to that, my childhood changed so drastically thanks to that awful dog. I truly regret having asked my mom to get a dog, we weren't ready for one, not at all!

Trellum, Mar 27, 2015
  11. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I am sorry you lost your best friend. Couldn't you have patched it up? I so believe in lifelong friendships. About you recognizing that you were not ready for a dog, that almost never happens at the time and we moms are so accommodating. I think in my case, we were not ready for a long time even when we had dogs. As for my son. He's been responsible for all that are in the house and he's only good with them for the first few weeks. He still does not appreciate that they are lifelong responsibilities.

Anne, Mar 29, 2015
  12. Trellum

Ann, worst part is that it wasn't even my fault the dog wasn't socialized properly... it was my parents, because I was only 7 at the time, so I did as told by them. My mom and dad weren't ready for that dog, not at all. I should have gotten a cat instead. As for that friend, well, after that incident there was no way they'd let her come to my place, specially because that dog was still there.

Sadly that was just the start, that dog got my mom and dad in trouble more than once. He scape and bite an elder woman some years later, he got her on the floor! My mom had to pay all the expenses, the family wanted to milk more money from her after that... thankfully my mom didn't let it happen. That dog was just awful, he had a vicious nature (that breed is known for that)... but things got worse because we didn't socialize him properly. He destroyed a lot stuff... killed my first pet cat (a kitten that looked a lot like your twinkle and was super sweet). I can't say I was sad when they came to take that dog away, not one bit.

Trellum, Mar 30, 2015
  13. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Not sure if I told you I was bitten by my neighbors dog and for a long time had a real fear of them. I wonder sometimesi if I still have a lingering fear of bigger dogs. I had gone to open the gate to let him back in as he had escaped. The neighbour had actually called me to help and before I knew it he was attacking me. I still have a small scar from it. Up until this day I can't say exactly what sparked that behaviour from the dog.

I guess some are difficult to interpret and I am sorry you had to endure a stressful dog as a child. We grow up and we learn as with humans, some are manageable and wonderful and sweet, and some are not.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Anne, Mar 30, 2015
  14. Trellum

Oh Anne! That sounds awful! So sorry you had to go thru that! I've never been bitten by a dog, but I can imagine how terrifying it can be! It's great that after that you didn't end up fearing dogs! Your comment made me feel much better :) It is true, we sometimes get to handle very difficult people (like I am with my new extended family), but we learn to deal with it. I endured that dog for years... to be honest i felt so happy and free when he was gone.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
Ask a Question