One of My Cats is Missing

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Apr 16, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have been worried for the past few days, one of our cats Pepper is missing. As I have mentioned in the past on this forum our cats are outdoor cats. So, they tend to wonder out of the yard. But all five of them have returned in the past. If I had my way they would be indoor cats but I have a brother who wouldn't put up with this because he isn't too fond of cats and also doesn't have good eyesight.

Also, the cats are use to being out doors because Pepper started out as part of a Ferral community. Anyway, this isn't the first time Pepper disappeared for awhile, but usually she shows up within a few days. But now she has been gone for two days and still no sign of her. I have to admit as horrible as this may sound I have been walking the neighborhood looking for her, even if its in the street. So, far nothing, which is a good thing since I know so far that she wasn't hit by a car, but what has happened to her? Has anyone here had a cat disapper for awhile then come home eventually?

pafjlh, Apr 16, 2015
  2. pafjlh

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your worry over you cat, Pepper. As you mentioned, he is an adventurer. Understandably, you are worried. I would be too! However, since it has only been a couple days, I am sure your Pepper will return. Although, I, too, have walked the streets looking for some of our cats in the past. So, I can relate to your concern. This is why, I am happy our cats are indoors, nowadays!

The good news is that cats are known to return! Matter of fact, one of my cousins cats returned last week, after being gone for a whole year! Where in the world was she for a year is anybodies guess! I think she must have found a new temporary home. Nevertheless, the cat did return! Don't give up hope, and keep us all informed. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 16, 2015
  3. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about pepper! I know it sounds hard, but you need to keep waiting and hoping, I'm sure she will show up! Cats are so smart and aren't killed or caught by predators that easily. You know? My Bob was lost for a while some years ago, he was still a young cat, I once didn't want to pet him, so he got so upset he left to the neighbors.

There was a mean kid there, he took him!! Didn't see Bob for months, until one day he was wandering in front my house <3 Dad saw him and told me!! I opened the door and he came right in. He was so skinny and seemed to be a bit in pain, my poor boy... they must have treated him so badly there.

Trellum, Apr 16, 2015
  4. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well tomorrow will be a week and still no Pepper. Now that doesn't mean she won't one day show up again. Thank you for these posts they have given me renew hope that Pepper could one day pop up again after her little adventrue. Right now we are wondering if Pepper could of got caught in one of the traps that are being set by an animal shelter that is spaying ferral cats in the Phoenix area, not that we knew of any being our area at this time but as our brother said cats can go pretty far. Well, if she shows up in another month or so with a clip ear we will know what happened won't we. It will be hilarious though becasue that would of been a waste of time since Pepper has already been spayed.

pafjlh, Apr 19, 2015
  5. pafjlh

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Good to hear you are keeping hope and have a good sense of humor!

I have never heard of traps being set up by the animal shelter to spay wild cats. Is this something new in your area? Or has this been going on for years? As a child, I would see the animal shelter out and about in neighborhoods, so I had kind of forgotten they even do this.

@Trellum, Oh I never knew you had lost your Bob for awhile! Well, maybe you mentioned it in passing. Still, so happy, he made it back home!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 20, 2015
  6. pafjlh

Yes, that happened when he was still little. I don't know for sure, but I really think one of those kids took him home, kept him locked or something like that.The cat was so skinny, and seemed to be a bit in pain, so I guess the brat didn't treat him well at all.

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  7. pafjlh

So sorry to hear no news yet, but glad to hear you are being optimistic, because odds are she will show up sooner or later. Maybe she was caught in one of those traps, but it takes a while to process so many cats. Have you thought of buying a collar for your cats? You know, one of those collars where you can place a small tag with your contact info? Maybe you should consider doing that with the other cats.

Trellum, Apr 21, 2015
  8. pafjlh

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Make sure you check local animal shelters. Sometimes, people will take a wandering cat in, to make sure nothing happens to them. Also, look in places like Craig's list, lost/found pets. People will often take a cat in and post a "found cat" on the web. I've done that a couple of times on strays that we've found.
    Sometimes cats wander far from home, and get lost. So you might want to expand the range of the "Lost Cat" flyers, if you're putting them on telephone poles, etc. Good luck. I hope Pepper comes home.

Kay Dougall, Apr 30, 2015
Ask a Question