OK I have a problem!

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Bella is tearing up my carpet! She is a little stinker and is into everything so I have just about everything put away so she won't destroy it. So, I guess now she's going to destroy the carpet. Everyone has told me she's bored but that can't be! There are five dogs and two other cats here for her to terrorize. What should I do buy more toys? Make sure I play with her everyday?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

magickat Well-Known Member

Maybe try and find something similar for her to scratch, like a doormat? Does she have a scratching post to use? Maybe try spraying the carpet with something natural to deter her. I doubt she is bored, kittens are naturally destructive!

magickat, Jan 26, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

We do have a scratching post but the boys have it pretty tore up. Maybe I new one will distract her from the carpet for a little while. I was planning on replacing that carpet with tile eventually but just not right away.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

magickat Well-Known Member

A new scratching post would probably be a good idea, maybe get one with toys and things attached and a box underneath, we have one and the kittens love it.

magickat, Jan 27, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat has a scratching mat. My boyfriend noticed that my cat loves to jump up and scratch at the door so he stapled the mat to the side of an old cabinet so the cats can just go wild on it. My wild cat, Kadijah, loves it and flips out on it at least 3 times a day. I think you just need to give the kitty a firm "no" when scratching the carpet and give your cat a new scratching area.

steph84, Jan 27, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

I think you might be right!

SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

You can also buy something called Soft Paws. They are little plastic covers that go over the claws. I'm not sure how long Bella would keep them on, but they might be worth a try. Call your vet and see if they will put them on for you. I don't know what he does, but when my vet puts Soft Paws on my cats, they *stay* on.:)

Wallie0921, Feb 1, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

Well, she only did it that one time I did get a new scratching post which she politely ignores. LOL We were planning on eventually replacing the carpet with tile anyway so, it's not that big of a deal. I think trying to get Bella to keep anything on her paws would be a disaster! LOL

SheWolfSilver, Feb 1, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

inTHEsane Active Member

Try going to your local carpet installer and ask them if they have any scrapes that are headed for the dumpster. Put these pieces over your cat's favorite place to scratch. After you get the cat scratching the scrape pieces then maybe try and get some scratching pads and or glue the carpet to a pole or piece of board. Eventually and hopefully the cat will have the routine of doing it, and also will eventually want to have it's own little scratching place(s).

inTHEsane, Feb 22, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

That is a good idea if she starts doing it again I might try that. She only does it in the corner of my bathroom so I just placed things in the corners. LOL Probably a temporary fix but it works for now. :)

SheWolfSilver, Feb 22, 2012
  11. SheWolfSilver

inTHEsane Active Member

I would be on the look out for whether or not they are trying to rip up your carpet in fun, or to eventually have a place to bury their "business" in the same room the humans do. :p Although it may just be that is the easy place for them to do it. If it is only one room def. try sprays and/or natural things that turn cats off to keep in the bathroom till she eventually loses interest.

inTHEsane, Feb 23, 2012
  12. SheWolfSilver

I've never had any trouble with her not using the litter box which does happen to be in my bathroom so, I'm pretty sure she's just doing it for fun.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 23, 2012
  13. SheWolfSilver

wils172 Active Member

I'd say to the OP that you need to substitute the carpet with something else that satisfies he need to claw..

wils172, Feb 24, 2012
  14. SheWolfSilver

Afishy1 Member

If your kitty likes clawing on things with a specific texture, try getting it something similar and making it more appealing to the kitty than your carpet. This could include things like spraying the new surface with some catnip or throwing some fresh catnip down on it, giving her a treat when you see her using it, or place her on it and show her how to use it (but doing the motion with her paws) and then rewarding her with a treat. You can also do things at the same time to try and make your carpet less appealing. I've heard of people putting double sided tape on areas that cats like to scratch a lot because cats do not like things that are sticky, so they will stay away from it (and of course you can remove it eventually). Make sure to test a little strip on your carpet before putting a bunch down though to make sure it comes off okay. If the area is not localized to one site, you could try using the spray bottle or clapping technique when you see her doing it. Since cats don't like these things (being sprayed with water or hearing loud noises) it will deter her from doing it. As a last resort, you may have to put her in a room with no other surfaces to scratch but the designated surface (be it rug or whatnot) when you are not home to discipline. It is not fun, but cats do need discipline. Good luck.

Afishy1, Mar 20, 2012
    SheWolfSilver likes this.
  15. SheWolfSilver

christina Active Member

I have the same problem with one of my cats. I bought a rug that is the same material as my carpet. I put it next to the back door. Sally just loves it. That is her spot and none of the other cats mess with it. I tried a scratching post at one time but none of my cats showed an interest in it at all.

christina, Mar 29, 2012
    SheWolfSilver likes this.
  16. SheWolfSilver

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I have heard of tapes that you can buy that have been known to calm cat's behavior. I've seen these types of tapes at discount stores. Think about going to a bookstore and look for a book about cat behavior. I bet you'll find the help you need there. Usually there are reasons why cats behave like that. You just have to keep investigating, and find out the reasons you cat is having strange behavior.

Jenny Heart, Apr 1, 2012
  17. SheWolfSilver

btatro Well-Known Member

She may just like to tear up carpet! I was going to suggest getting a some sample pieces of carpet that you wouldn't mind if she tore up, but it sounds like you are making a switch to tile soon anyways. Maybe she would still like it if you got her some free carpet squares to claw away at!

btatro, Apr 8, 2012
  18. SheWolfSilver

Lilly&May Member

All four of my cats have only ever tore up the carpet in front of doors, especially the bedrooms. Before I replaced the carpet I did find these specially designed mats called Carpet Scratch Stoppers that go in the doorways and cover the cats targeted area. Love them, I doubt I would have gotten new carpet if I hadn't found them.

Lilly&May, May 31, 2013
  19. SheWolfSilver

jules Active Member

Even with a scratching post, my cat loves to scratch the carpet in my room near the door too. I have resorted to using a spray actually. It stops him and he has just gone back to the scratching post mainly but every now and then I see him scratching the carpet again. And my cat actually loves sticky tapes. It amuses him to no end so putting tapes on areas where he loves to scratch will just be double pleasure for him so that's a no no. The spray has definitely been the most effective so far.

jules, Jun 6, 2013
  20. SheWolfSilver

Jezebella Member

Have you considered getting a new scratching post and putting it over the spot where she scratches? If there is carpet throughout the house and she is only scratching one space there may be something about that space.

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
Ask a Question