Natural flea remedy?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Mar 16, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I have three cats in my house and every spring I worry about fleas and the terrible issue of dealing with them.
    I have purchased the flea meds from a vet or online in the past, for a hefty price I might add!

Is there a natural way to deal with fleas that might be healthier for my cats and to people who are around them? And of course also is as effective?

Any thoughts would be helpful as we are finally seeing some signs of spring. Except I write this and it is snowing outside right now! But soon it will be spring! I hope.

jowjo5, Mar 16, 2013
  2. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have never actually tried any that were successful.

We have done a flea bath before when the medicines weren't working on a major outbreak, but that was mostly manually forcing the fleas off her and it wasn't pleasant at all. :(

Are your cats entirely inside? Or do they also go out?

Jessi, Mar 16, 2013
  3. jowjo5

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have tried peppermint oil in a spray bottle. I mix it with a little water and spray it in the house. Fleas hate the way it smells and I keep my rugs flea free that way. I don't put it on my cats, but it does keep them away from their bedding too.

steph84, Mar 16, 2013
  4. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Tea Tree Oil is one of the best, I used to work in a pet shampoo factory - we made anti-flea shampoo, the main ingredient was tea tree oil! Don't go to wild though as it can be dangerous to cats in high doses.

Scottyxx, Mar 26, 2013
  5. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the natural options, but I do have a suggestion for a cheaper version. If the things others have suggested don't work, try Adams brand flea and tick drops. If you go to Walmart and buy the refills, they'll only cost about $15 for a three month supply. I know they say refills, but you can apply them without the dropper that comes in some, more expensive, of the packages with no issue. This brand has always worked well for me (remember, I have two cats and three dogs inside of my house) and it's nice not to spend an arm and a leg every month for all of these animals!

blurinoctober, Mar 31, 2013
Ask a Question