Nail Covers

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Jul 28, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

Does anybody use those nail covers for those cats who are not declawed? I am thinking about getting some, but I just wanted to make sure that they work before I spend the money. Also, do you go in to have them put on or do you do them yourself?

dashboardc33, Jul 28, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Maybe I am old-fashioned but the nail covers don't quite look natural. Plus the part about glueing them on is kind of worrisome. No idea how the glue will affect the nails in the long run. I will stick to living with some scratches here and there.

Victor Leigh, Jul 30, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

For those who aren't familiar, the caps look like this:

[​IMG]

I've never personally used them. I'm not sure how I feel about them either....they seem rather intrusive, but maybe cats don't mind at all after they get used to them.

Jessi, Jul 30, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

Hehe, I think they look cute! Especially, when you can find different colors. However, I didn't know that they had to be glued on. I thought they snapped on somehow. I saw a friend who had a cat with these colored nails and I had thought she painted the cat's nails! lol.

dashboardc33, Jul 31, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

I doubt if they would have stayed on for more than five minutes if they had been snapped on. So glue is the most likely way to put them on. One question. After the glue has set, how do we go about removing the nail covers?

Victor Leigh, Jul 31, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

You snip the ends with standard nail clippers. It leaves what looks like a tube so that you can squeeze it and pop the glue apart so that it slides off easily.

Jessi, Aug 1, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

I see. So I suppose these nail covers are the answer to cats getting scratchy scratchy all over the furniture. A very good alternative to declawing then.

Victor Leigh, Aug 4, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't think my cat would go for nail covers. He would probably try to bite me in the process lol

steph84, Aug 5, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

jenb128 Member

My mother-in-law uses them on her cat (though she just uses the clear ones). She takes the cat in to a groomer to get them glued on. She likes them, though she said she needs to take the cat in periodically to get them redone, because they come off when the cat sheds that outer layer of claw.

I personally think they're a much better option than declawing, but I prefer good old-fashion claw trimming.

jenb128, Aug 6, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

Do the claws really get that long to need trimming? On my cats, I haven't noticed any over-long claws yet. Maybe it's because they keep the length under control by scratching on the tree outside.

Victor Leigh, Aug 6, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never trimmed a cat's claws before. They naturally shed the outer layers as mentioned above, and it wouldn't make them any less sharp or whatever for scratching purposes. Seems kinda pointless to me.

Jessi, Aug 6, 2012
Ask a Question