My Himalayan cat is really confusing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Diane, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Diane

Diane New Member

My Himalayan cat is really confusing?
    Okay so I recently got a Himalayan cat, 4 days ago or so and it's totally adorable but he's a bit.. depressed?
    I don't know, he's sitting at the top of my stairs right now and I'm not sure if he wants attention or not, will he come to me?
    He never comes to me, whenever I go to pet him he looks at me, then when I pet his head he closes his eyes and looks adorable, he seems to have warmed up to me but he's confusing, does he WANT me to pet him? Will he come to me or should I give him the attention?
    He's 7 years old so it's expected that he's lazy.

Diane, Aug 24, 2011
  2. Diane

magickat Well-Known Member

I should just give him some time. Cats can be very stressed by moving home or a new environment, so he probably just needs time to adjust. Keep feeding him and stroking him if he seems OK with it, talk to him a lot when he is around and he will soon get used to you. If you don't force yourself upon him he will soon come to you - he is probably still trying to figure you out at the moment :)

magickat, Dec 2, 2011
  3. Diane

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

4 days? You cat is stressed and will totally adjust I think. Max for the first day would not let me near him...at least...not willingly. What I did was pick him up and gently hold and cuddle him, with soothing sounds...but if he wanted to escape I let him. He fell asleep right in my lap but Max was only 4 months when I got him...so perhaps this technique is easier with a kitten. In a few days he grew to trust me (I work from home so I had a lot of time with him) and then he slept with us too (though I had to train him that my legs weren't chew toys!). He stopped the biting the first week (nothing serious) and now he sleeps great with us and is well-adjusted (though he does spend about 10 minutes nuzzling my girlfriend's long hair, which fascinates him for some reason).

We've had Max just over 4 weeks now and he's really habituated...he even sleeps on my lap during the day while I work on the computer!

MaxKitteh, Dec 7, 2011
  4. Diane

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Congrats on getting the new cat! I used to have a Himalayan years ago, they are really great cats. Just let him get used to you, and feel more comfortable around his new home. It will take a little time, just show him you are going to be nice, sweet and loving.

Wahcashmom, Dec 16, 2011
  5. Diane

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Seven years old? That's not a kitten anymore. That's an old mature cat. Cats are like people. As they grow older, they are not too much into cuddling. They will do just fine with a pat on the head once in a while.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
Ask a Question