My cat likes grapes...is that okay?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

My cat Lenny has started trying to eat grapes. My kids let him one day and yes in fact he did eat the whole thing.
    Does anyone know if this is a bad idea? I have researched it online and found nothing as of yet.
    I don't have any experience with a cat liking fruit! I just need to know if it is a bad thing or not. We have held him off from eating them because I don't think it is exactly natural. He does get all happy when he sees the kids eating grapes and tries desperately to get a bit of them.

Anyone? Fruit eating cat?

jowjo5, Feb 14, 2013
  2. jowjo5

shdws Well-Known Member

shdws, Feb 14, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  3. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

I didn't know if they were bad or not. Thanks for sharing that shdws!! I don't think we'll have a problem at my house. Good luck keeping your cat away from the grapes jowjo5, it seems like he already loves it so you'll have to be pretty diligent in keeping him away.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 15, 2013
  4. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I am glad we stopped right away! He also has an issue with Doritos!

Maybe he thinks he is human! Thanks for all of your post. Appreciate you taking the time to help out.

Now to tell him he can only have cat food! Blank stare coming from cat!

jowjo5, Feb 15, 2013
  5. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you took the time to ask. They can be fatal indeed. :(

Good luck keeping him away. Maybe he'll forget about them after a while.

Jessi, Feb 16, 2013
  6. jowjo5

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same issue with my dog. Neither of my cats show any interest in fruits, but my dog would live off of veggies and grapes if he could. The vegetables aren't as big of a deal, but he loves grapes too! They cause the same issues in dogs, as far as I'm aware. I understand how much of a pain it is to keep them away from animals. Good luck!

blurinoctober, Feb 25, 2013
  7. jowjo5

steph84 Well-Known Member

Sometimes your pet is just hungry and will eat anything to get some nutrition. Why not give him some other food while he is begging for grapes and chips. I think he is just hungry and wants a snack too.

steph84, Feb 26, 2013
  8. jowjo5

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Your cat might just like the sweetness or liquid content of the grapes. You could try offering him other fruits such as watermelon or melon and see if he likes those too. Most fruits are safe for cats so you could give him a plate of fruits and see which ones he likes.

GavinMcresty, May 3, 2013
  9. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

Too much grapes can prove to be toxic for dogs, I assume it's the exact same thing with cats!!! So I'd advice you to be careful with that. I heard they can poison a dog's liver. I'm guessing it can do the exact same thing to a cat. Same goes for tomato leaves and kalanchoe leaves.

Trellum, Dec 31, 2013
Ask a Question