My Cat Hates His Cone

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by steph84, Nov 28, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84 Well-Known Member

One of my kitties just got neutered at the vet and now he has a lovely cone around his neck. He absolutely hates it and tries to remove it by bumping it into walls. He not only wakes us all up, but he is scraping off my paint. How do I get him to accept it and wear it?

steph84, Nov 28, 2012
  2. steph84

Jessi Well-Known Member

You don't. He's going to be miserable in it, to be honest. He'll adjust to it after a couple days, but he's not going to be happy about it. You could potentially take it off for some breaks and then put it back on. If he starts messing with his surgery site, though, then you're better off leaving it on so he doesn't mess it up.

Jessi, Nov 28, 2012
  3. steph84

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My boy kitty couldnt even walk in the cone! Luckily though when a boy cat is neutered, he doesnt need a cone, just some bitter spray since its just two small incisions.

If the vet told you to cone though, I would do it. My guy licked right through the bitter spray so I used Cayanne pepper around his wound to stop him licking. The reason we made him wear the cone was to teach him a lesson as he continued to jump on and tease my girl cat wearing the cone!

Scottyxx, Nov 28, 2012
  4. steph84

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Ah, there's no easy way around this. A cone he has to wear and a cone he must wear. Just comfort him with more love than usual. If things go well, he should be able to do without the cone in about a week.

Victor Leigh, Nov 29, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
Ask a Question