My cat from hell episode

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I've been responding to threads referring to tips I got from the show 'my cat from hell' (animal planet). Jackson Galaxy gives cat owners help and advice with the trouble they experience with their cat(s). This can be all kinds of things from anxiety to aggression, and many others things.
    I love this show and when I looked it up on youtube I also found short videos that give general tips on, for example, how to bond with your cat, how to pet your get and how to handle cats when they are scared. If you want to see more, click on the links you find through these videos or simply type in 'my cat from hell' in the search box :) Enjoy!

Episode of 'My cat from hell'

How to handle a scared cat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QDH57ytvu7U

Yolanda, Nov 26, 2011
  2. Yolanda

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

I can see a few mistakes that guy is making. One, holding a cat on its back. Not ideal. Two, reaching for its belly when it's on its back. Also not a good idea. Not sure what else is going on but those are two things which can be improved right away. Some people just don't understand cats I guess, but that can be fixed with some training.

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

Wow! I have never heard of this show, but I watched this video and now I can't wait to watch more! I felt bad when they talked about putting the cat to sleep! Clearly the guy shouldn't have been flipping the cat over like that. Poor kitty! He just needs a little love and training. Thanks for this post Yolanda! I can't wait to learn new tips!

steph84, Nov 28, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. Yolanda

True, some people are handling their cats in such bizar ways without even knowing what they are doing wrong. I agree that some minor improvements can help a lot. For example: stop holding the cat like a baby! 99 Percent of cats don't like this, and you should never push them into it (or you get behavior like this, because they feel trapped). I really like the show too, Steph. It's amazing how he handles the cats, AND their owners ;-)

Yolanda, Nov 28, 2011
  5. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

That is so true! I hate it when my stepdad comes over and tries to hold my cat like a baby. I don't understand why he does not get it that the cat hates it. He hisses and scratches every time he holds him like a baby. Sometimes humans need some good training every now and then!

steph84, Dec 14, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  6. Yolanda

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this vid Yolanda, I will be checking out more on YouTube. If the cat is obviously letting you know it does not like being held "baby cradle style" why would you continue doing this? As stephyy84 wrote "sometimes humans need some good training every now and then!" It is really very cruel and unfair to even consider putting an animal to sleep because an owner does not know how to handel, train and interact with their pet.
    Trinity has hissed and nipped at one of my son's a few times when he tried to pet her and I could see that the problem was that my son was loud and moving his hand in a quick motion towards her head. I told him to talk at a normal voice volume and just put his hand out at her eye level and let her come towards his hand before attempting to pet her. This worked well and he can now pet Trinity. I noticed right away with Trinity that raised voices and quick hand movements near her made her nervous. Loud noise in general seems to make her nervous not only talking loud.

Micheleteresa, Dec 14, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  7. Yolanda

Very true, how you approach a pet can make such a difference. Also, petting over the head is very dominant gesture which can make cats uncertain and react in another way.

Yolanda, Dec 17, 2011
  8. Yolanda

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

This is all new to me, never seen it before. In a way it looks like that cat had been treated really mean and bad before, so sad!

Wahcashmom, Jan 8, 2012
  9. Yolanda

There are some very sad cases, but he's successful in a lot of cases. The success seems to depend more on the willingness of the owner to change than the cat..

Yolanda, Jan 8, 2012
Ask a Question