More Domestic Violence Shelters Are Welcoming Pets

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ACSAPA, Aug 5, 2012.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I was reading an article today that says 48 percent of domestic violence victims will stay in an abusive relationship because they're afraid to leave their pets behind with an abuser, but some shelters won't allow them to bring their pets.

A domestic abuse shelter in Florida called Harbor House is opening a kennel called Paws for Peace that will take care of the pets of battered women so they can get help without leaving behind their beloved pets.
    I cried a little reading the story because as a child abuse survivor, I'm sympathetic to these families.

More than 70 shelters in the US allow pets. I hope this trend continues to grow.

http://www.catster.com/the-scoop/domestic-violence-shelters-allow-pets

ACSAPA, Aug 5, 2012
  2. ACSAPA

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

More than 70 shelters? So in terms of percentage, how much is that?

It's rather odd that pets were not allowed in those shelters in the first place. Makes me wonder whether the people in charge of the shelters had any training at all about relationships.

Victor Leigh, Aug 6, 2012
  3. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I don't know Victor, I think some shelters don't have the facilities to care for animals, but they should. A woman should not have to stay in an abusive relationship out of fear that her abuser will kill her pets if she leaves.

Imagine that your violent husband has threatened to kill your cats if you leave, but if you go to a battered women's shelter they won't let you bring your cats, so you're sentencing them to a violent death if you go to get help.

Fortunately more domestic violence shelters are opening their doors to victims and their pets. Let's hope it catches on nationwide.

ACSAPA, Aug 7, 2012
  4. ACSAPA

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh wow. I guess I had never thought about it really, but you're right... so many people wouldn't want to leave their pets and would ultimately end up staying instead. I'm so glad to see that there are some that accept them.

Jessi, Aug 8, 2012
Ask a Question