male or female ?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sharonfff, Mar 7, 2011.

1. sharonfff

sharonfff New Member

hi there
    i have a chance to get a cornish rex, one is female the other is male
    what is the different temperaments of a female cat and a male cat
    i used to own a male cat and he wanted cuddles all the time and wanted to be on my lap
    as ive heard that female cats are the opposite
    i dont relly mind i would love them both lol

kind regards

sharon

sharonfff, Mar 7, 2011
  2. sharonfff

magickat Well-Known Member

Male cats tend to be a bit more laid back and relaxed, especially once they have been neutered. Itis true to some extent that females are less like this, but they can equally be very affectionate, just a bit more independent, which may suit your lifestyle better. Both sexes have their merits, I will say I have found females to be more prolific hunters.

magickat, Nov 21, 2011
  3. sharonfff

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I agree with magic cat, even though these characters can be very different per cat. I once got a male cat as a child because they are said to be more affectionate. Mine wasn't at all, so that was a bit of a bummer, lol. Although he was a nice cat he was really a loner and didn't care much for coming all to close to me or getting petted. I also have had very affectionate males (my current 3 males), very affectionate females and also more of the loner, independent females. I wouldn't go for a specific sexe but you could also try and make the choice by the cat that gives you a good feeling, or let the kitten pick you (is there a kitten that walks up to you more often, or to which you feel a connection?)/

Yolanda, Nov 21, 2011
  4. sharonfff

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I have allergic reactions to female cats. I don't know why -- I suspect it may be a side effect of the "males are social/females hide out" phenomenon that some have noticed. Perhaps the females pick up dust and other allergens on their fur while hiding out and I'm reacting to that. All I know is that I can cuddle boy cats up to my face with no problems, but just petting a girl will make my eyes water and itch.:confused:

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
  5. sharonfff

doublelady Active Member

I have two male cats and a female cat. The older male cat and the female cat both enjoy spending time with me, but neither of them really lay in my lap or cuddle. The female cat does hang around me all the time though. The third cat is male and spends all day outside and aloof, but at night time he won't get off your lap or get out of the bed even if you roll over on him.

doublelady, Nov 23, 2011
  6. sharonfff

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

It's really individual, but I've heard about males being more relaxed too (neutered early). My little guy (almost 5 months) is very affectionate and also a lap kitty. There are some breed specifics too but really, best to just meet the cat before you acquire it and see how you get along.

MaxKitteh, Nov 29, 2011
  7. sharonfff

kat74 Active Member

I think I like females because they don't keep running away. Males are most of the time running away to look for females to mate. There is a male in the neighbor hood which keeps on going and when it comes back, it has wound every where which are as a result of fights with other males as they compete for a female. So I prefer a female.

kat74, Nov 29, 2011
  8. sharonfff

Alli Well-Known Member

It really depends on the individual cat, but for my two, the male is far more laid back and sweet and cuddly and the female is really high strung and a big scaredy cat and not so into cuddles.

Alli, Nov 29, 2011
Ask a Question