Male or female?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BeautifulAngel, Jun 24, 2012.

1. BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

Do you prefer male kittens or female kittens?

My boyfriend and I are going to go looking for a kitten soon and I just wanted to know everyones opinions on whether they like female or male cats more and as well as why.

I would also like to know what sex of cats are more calm and cuddly since the last kitten I had was pretty agressive and really hyper. Thank you very much I really appreciate it everyone!

BeautifulAngel, Jun 24, 2012
  2. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

I tend to end up with females, but so long as the male is neutered, I like them just as well. If they're not, then they tend to spray and be more territorial, so I'll pass on that. I've had super cuddly from both genders....spayed/neutered or not, either way. I think it has more to do with each individual cat and not the gender.

Jessi, Jun 24, 2012
  3. BeautifulAngel

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My Tribe is a mix of Males and females, I don't really have a preference, Each cat, male or female, has their own personality that , in my opinion, has little to do with gender

Micheleteresa, Jun 24, 2012
  4. BeautifulAngel

Does it matter if the female is fixed though? Like does it change their personality or anything? I was thinking of getting a female that isn't fixed just in case one day I want to breed her.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 25, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  5. BeautifulAngel

Thank you for replying to me =) I thought that the sexe would have a difference on the aggressiveness and what not. But I guess not! Thanks again

6. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

It can. We actually ran into hormone issues with one of ours before she was fixed, but I think it was mainly due to there being other cats and territory issues within the home. If this is your only cat, I can't imagine it causing any issues, and really, it's the -only- time I've ever seen it make a difference, so I'm pretty sure it's more on the rare side.

Jessi, Jun 25, 2012
  7. BeautifulAngel

S.O. Price Active Member

I know you said something about not spaying a female. I hope you periodically like howling at all hours of the night as she is trying to attract a boyfriend. And female cats that are in heat like to run around and 'tinkle' here and there. I had a stray female that I brought into the house. It took her months to come into heat and all that time she was perfect about using the litterbox. When she came into heat, she was running around and tinkling all over, not to mention the howling. So then since I was able to determine if she'd had a previous owner who had her spayed (she didn't) I was able to make a call to the vet. Once she was spayed, no more random tinkling.

S.O. Price, Jun 25, 2012
  8. BeautifulAngel

I'm not sure if my boyfriend would want one as well. You said there was issues with territorial issues? Do you think that will happen if we end up getting a male once we would like to breed the female?

9. BeautifulAngel

Oh wow! I had no idea that they twinkled or what not. Do you know around what age they go into heat?

10. BeautifulAngel

tajnz Well-Known Member

If you're considering wanting to breed your future cat then there are a lot more issues you'll need to investigate, if you're not already a professional registered breeder. The decision and commitment to breed any animal shouldn't be taken lightly.

As for your original question, I agree with the previous posters. A cat's temperament depends more on its own unique personality and it's breed type than it's gender. If you want a cuddly friendly cat it would be worthwhile looking up different cat breeds to find one that is known for producing friendly kittens. If you're an inexperienced cat owner I'd also suggest desexing it as cats are much more managable this way. I actually think anyone who doesn't want to breed cats should desex their cat.

tajnz, Jun 25, 2012
  11. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible. It can happen with any set of cats, with or without the spaying and neutering being a consideration.

Why is it that you're wanting to breed them? Are you buying a purebred and hoping to sell the kittens?

Jessi, Jun 25, 2012
  12. BeautifulAngel

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Most of my cats are females. Maybe it's because most of them are abandoned kittens and the females are not the preferred choice. If I had a choice, I would still get a female cat. Toms are just a bit too territorial with their spraying.

Victor Leigh, Jun 26, 2012
  13. BeautifulAngel

No, I don't plan on selling the kittens, I would give them away. I just always wanted my cat to have kittens. Not sure why exaclty :/

BeautifulAngel, Jul 5, 2012
  14. BeautifulAngel

I think I can understand your feeling about having kittens. To satisfy your curiosity and to appease your desire, let your tabby breed once. Then have it neutered. That way, you would not be contributing too much to the cat over-population.

Victor Leigh, Jul 5, 2012
  15. BeautifulAngel

To be honest it looks like I'm not getting that tabby after all :( My boyfriends mom changed her mom so I'm not sure if my boyfriend and I can move out in time and if the girl would keep that kitten until we could move out.

BeautifulAngel, Jul 11, 2012
  16. BeautifulAngel

Don't feel too bad about that. There are lots and lots of homeless cats waiting for you to give them a good home. So anytime you are ready, just pop in on the nearest animal shelter and take your pick.

Victor Leigh, Jul 12, 2012
  17. BeautifulAngel

violino Well-Known Member

I ended up with two female cats. The previous one was a male. But I think I don't care about their sex, it doesn't really matter to me as they are still cats and they have their own life, which was my desire. To have a pet I don't have to look after all day long and feel guilty I don't do it (like I would've felt about a dog).

violino, Jul 12, 2012
  18. BeautifulAngel

Yes, Violino, I think you have just pointed out one of the main attractions of keeping cats as pets.

They are, generally speaking, rather independent creatures. Just give them food and water and a place to sleep. They can take care of themselves where exercise and entertainment is concerned. Of course, they take up much less space because their living area is more like three-dimensional. Like they can go left and right and up, too.

Dogs don't normally go up.

Victor Leigh, Jul 13, 2012
  19. BeautifulAngel

Olivia Gajadhar Member

Although I am sure there are equally affectionate cats of both sexes, from my experience (and I've had a lot), males tend to be more affectionate than females do (or at least crave attention more than females). The only time I've witnessed a female craving more attention and being more affectionate is when she's in heat. o_O

In terms of hyperness, I think it depends on the personality of the cat. Once you get them fixed, you shouldn't have too many problems with hyperactivity.

Olivia Gajadhar, Aug 8, 2012
  20. BeautifulAngel

Olivia Gajadhar Member

Of course, my boyfriend claims that the males are more affectionate towards me because I'm female... not sure how true that is, heh. :p

Do animals in general prefer the opposite sex? There's a female parrot at my work that hates my guts (and pretty much every other female). :confused:

Olivia Gajadhar, Aug 8, 2012
Ask a Question