Make your own cat litter

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I'm not joking, and I'm going to try this:

Make your own cat litter

I don't know how much people spend on cat litter, but if it's anything like as expensive as it is here in the UK, it's not cheap. Given that things are a bit tight economically for a lot of people, this seems to be like it might be worth a try. I have a paper shredder, so I'm going to give this a shot. I'll let people here know how it goes obviously, because if it's not very good, I'd rather mention it than have people waste time with it.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 22, 2012
  2. Evilsprinkles

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

It looks like an idea that could save you money, but it also seems a little time consuming. If you're one of those people that has time for DIY projects, it could be worth spending the time to make your own cat litter.
    People who are busy might spend the extra money to not do all the work.

ACSAPA, Sep 23, 2012
  3. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hmm, interesting.

I have seen people use shredded paper in general and it doesn't get the greatest results. I hadn't seen it being wet and crumbled first, though. That might actually eliminate some of the issues of leaving it in its full shredded form.

And yes, please do let us know how it turns out!

Jessi, Sep 25, 2012
  4. Evilsprinkles

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

This looks interesting but it also looks like it'd be very time consuming. I'm all for saving money but I think in this case I'd rather spend the money to buy clumping cat litter. This stuff looks like the stuff that you see on the bottom of cages in the pet store for rats and other mammals and I can't imagine that it'd control the odor that well even with the baking soda mixed in. It might be alright for one cat but when you're dealing with multiple cats I think the clean-up would be a bit much. Good luck though! Let us know how it turns out!

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 26, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

It probably will be a little time consuming, but I don't think it's anything I can't do in between everything else. I have a full sack of litter at the moment, so it will give me the time to do it. The free newspapers that often end up unused and left to flutter about in the wind outside, will be getting snatched, and shoved through my shredder.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 26, 2012
  6. Evilsprinkles

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

This makes sense, it's very similar to some paper making projects we did in art class. However it does seem like a lot of work, and I wonder if that ink is toxic to the cats at all.

OhioTom76, Sep 27, 2012
  7. Evilsprinkles

Daintipawz Well-Known Member

For me it would be too time consuming and I would need a lot of paper to shred having 7 cats and a few litters of kittens per year, I would rather buy it but all the best and hope it works for you, it will be interesting to know the result.

Sharon x

Daintipawz, Oct 3, 2012
  8. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh my. Seven cats? Yeah, I can't imagine how much kitty litter is required for that anyway, much less how much paper would be needed in order to make your own like this. I'd stick with storebought if I were you, too.

Jessi, Oct 3, 2012
  9. Evilsprinkles

JustJenne Active Member

Well, that seems like quite a bit of work. I got a little grossed out reading about the mushy, wet newspaper. It seemed to look ok when it was dry though. If it saves you money, and you have the time then go for it! I don't know if I would have the patience for that. However, that's the beauty in having indoor/outdoor cats: no litter box.

JustJenne, Oct 14, 2012
  10. Evilsprinkles

RealDMat Well-Known Member

Hmmm--this to me doesn't seem prudent. Seems like the paper would just turn into a wet, mushy, poop-filled mess. Particularly if you use liners like me. I think it would just stick to everything. But, being as I have never tried this, I won't judge it... :)

RealDMat, Oct 25, 2015
  11. Evilsprinkles

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

The animal shelter where my sister use to work always used shredded paper because of the cost. It was ok but it could get a bit messy and smelly. It had to be changed often.

Susan Brown, Oct 27, 2015
    RealDMat likes this.
  12. Evilsprinkles

erik Well-Known Member

Please give us updates on what works or not!;) as for mr i try to mix in a little bitbof baking soda on my cat litter to help with the odor and clumping, ive found a brand thats really cheap but does the job well:)

erik, Nov 25, 2015
Ask a Question