Maine Coon

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Animachine, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Animachine

Animachine Member

My favorite cat of all time is the Maine Coon cat. I fell in love with this breed working for a groomer when I was a teenager. I just can't believe how massive they are, and yet so docile!

[​IMG]

I would love to find a local breeder in Florida. Does anyone else own one of these beautiful creatures?

Animachine, Jun 10, 2012
  2. Animachine

violino Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has Maine Coon and he's (the cat, not a friend ) like alive teddy bear. But not only looks like it, it also bevahes like it, it's very timid, shy.

violino, Jun 12, 2012
  3. Animachine

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've heard of the Maine Coon breed before, but I can't think for the life of me where it was.Perhaps a family friend was looking at adopting one through a breeder and mentioned it.

Anyhow I've never seen a photograph of a Maine Coone before and they are simply gorgeous. I love how they are quite sizable for pet cats and yet are docile and timid. How adorable!

tajnz, Jun 13, 2012
  4. Animachine

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that Maine Coons can be very big but I certainly didn't expect any to grow this big:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  5. Animachine

Like a wild cat o_O OMG. But if it's nice, it'd be a nice pillow :D

violino, Jun 13, 2012
  6. Animachine

tajnz Well-Known Member

Woah, I knew from the first picture that Maine Coon are a big breed of cat but I had no idea just quite how big they can get. The cat in this photo is probably bigger than both my childhood dogs added together. It's a good thing they have friendly personalities isn't it! :D

tajnz, Jun 14, 2012
  7. Animachine

Epicfied Well-Known Member

Maine Coons are such gorgeous cats! I love them but I doubt I'll ever have one.
    They get massive and when I think my cat 1/5 that size is getting big...I don't know how I'd take it.

Epicfied, Jun 15, 2012
  8. Animachine

Becky Well-Known Member

Wow they are huuuuuge!!

Becky, Jun 16, 2012
  9. Animachine

Victor Leigh, Jun 17, 2012
  10. Animachine

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wow. Victor, that one looks like it has a lion mane he's so furry up around his head, ha! They certainly can get big. So gorgeous. <3

Jessi, Jun 18, 2012
  11. Animachine

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for sharing that photo Victor. What a huge Maine Coon. It's hard to believe he's still growing and that's he only 3 years old.
    I looked up a local Maine Coon breeder in my area and apparently male Maine Coon can reach up to 15kg but normally range between 8-10kg.:eek::)

tajnz, Jun 20, 2012
  12. Animachine

Mystique Well-Known Member

Holymolly!! They are huge!! Cosidering that I have always dreamed of having a lion cub :D I might just consider getting a Maine Coon :D

Mystique, Jun 22, 2012
  13. Animachine

Now, given the size of the Maine Coon, it might be a good candidate to train for watchdog duties. Does anyone know whether that has been done before? In the first place, can the Maine Coon be taught to be possessive like a dog?

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  14. Animachine

tajnz Well-Known Member

Due to their size it might be a little dangerous to train Maine Coon to be guard dogs. Probably their sheer size alone would scare robbers. ;) I've looked online and most sites say Maine Coon don't make the best guards and are no subsitute for a guard dog although it does seem like a handful of Maine Coone are protective enough to guard their owners, I saw a few videos.

While I'm talking about Maine Coon a family friend told me about her friends Maine Coon the other day and she said her owner complained of how heavy her cat was when it rolled onto her in the middle night!

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  15. Animachine

There's another cat breed which is also quite big. It's the Savannah cat. Male adults can grow up to 30 lbs in weight. Just look at this one here:
    [​IMG]
    According to what I have read, Savannahs are quite close in character to dogs. Maybe they can be trained to be watch dogs. More information here:​

Victor Leigh, Jun 26, 2012
  16. Animachine

As far as I know they are very shy and timid, I'd say even: cowards. So they won't be good quards.

violino, Jun 26, 2012
  17. Animachine

Really? Are they that shy and timid? Then maybe they should be crossed with Chinchillas. The one and only Chinchilla that I have ever met was a very, very fierce tom. No warning, just swipe and go. See how fierce this one looks?

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jun 27, 2012
  18. Animachine

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow Victor Lee, that cat you posted certainly has the "don't mess with me" look down pat. :eek: Perhaps a Chinchilla cross would be best for you ;) but I'd prefer a normal placid Maine Coon. It's one thing I like about them, they seem to be gentle giants considering their mass.

tajnz, Jun 27, 2012
  19. Animachine

Well, maybe my taste is a little different from yours. It's not just to do with cats. I also like my women to have some fighting spirit in them.

Victor Leigh, Jun 28, 2012
  20. Animachine

The MC of my friend LOOKS like this one as well, I mean it looks like he's been pissed most of the time and ready to jump to your throat. But if it came to a fight with another cat he would most likely just run away.

violino, Jun 29, 2012
Ask a Question