Like being brushed?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Does your cat love being brushed?

I just bought a brush for friend's cat tonight because they said they'd never had one. Not only did it remove a ton of hair that I know would've ended up all over their house, coat, etc....but the cat enjoyed it. Not quite as much as the self-brushing cat above, though.

Jessi, Mar 6, 2013
  2. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

If only! Mine do not enjoy the brush, you would think I was hurting them the way they run and hide from it!

I wish they did like it though because they are so hairy!

Scottyxx, Mar 6, 2013
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Is it possible that you actually are hurting them?

I mean, I have hit mats and unseen sores before with a brush and caused cats to cry. :( Is it possible it really doesn't feel good for them because their hair is matted/tangled?

Jessi, Mar 7, 2013
  4. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat loves to be brushed. I can leave the brush on the floor and he will rub all over it and start to bite the bristles. I like to say that he is brushing or flossing. I use a fine comb for matting!

steph84, Mar 12, 2013
  5. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Their hair is not matted in the slightest, they just have a lot of it. I dont know why they hate it so much.

Scottyxx, Mar 15, 2013
  6. Jessi

Trace Member

One of mine acts exactly like the one in the OP's .gif. It's hilarious to watch her. Now, she won't brush herself if she finds it lying around; princess that she is, someone (usually me) has to hold it for her, and if the angle isn't just right, she'll paw at it until I turn it to suit her. She'll also come running when she hears the word "brush." The other two can pretty much take it or leave it. They don't mind being brushed, though they'll complain about mats if the brush catches them, but they will tolerate at least a few minutes of it. All three like it on their terms, of course, and with twist around and bump the brush to where they want it.

Trace, Apr 14, 2013
  7. Jessi

Yiddo Active Member

My cat loves being brushed, she always makes a very gentle and nice purring sound when being brushed.

Yiddo, Apr 22, 2013
  8. Jessi

mariposa Well-Known Member

Our cat is finicky about being brushed. Sometimes she doesn't seem to mind it but other times she acts like it's just annoyance and we'd better leave her air space with that brush. :rolleyes:

What she loves is a wooden back scratcher when we gently scrach under her chin and places she can't reach. But that doesn't do the job of combing her fur.

mariposa, Apr 24, 2013
  9. Jessi

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Our cat certainly did not mind being brushed. She was not as enthusiastic as the cat in Jessi's picture but she never objected. She seemed to just treat it as regular petting. It did remove a lot of loose hair from her too. As I understand it, it is good to help them remove the extra hair. It is somewhat akin to "detoxifying" them: it helps their body get rid of the excess "material" or something. I might be wrong about that part though. I read it a long time ago.

GavinMcresty, May 2, 2013
Ask a Question