Lap-Loving Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blurinoctober, Nov 27, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

As a kitten one of my cats, Sibyl, never liked being anywhere near my lap. She would lay on the couch a cushion over or on the end of my bed, but she wouldn't actually lay on or against me. She's three years old now and, all of a sudden, she lays on me constantly! As a matter of fact, she crawled up onto my belly while I was typing this message. Sibyl's also started climbing. Before she was always too scared to climb anything higher than the bed even if the other cat us higher. So she's lost her fears and gotten cuddly all at the same time.

Has anyone else's cat done something like this? Do your cats even like being on your lap, or would they rather be left alone most of the time?

blurinoctober, Nov 27, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

steph84 Well-Known Member

i think your cat just trusts you more so that why it feels comfortable jumping on your lap. My stray cats were very shy and didn't like to cuddle. One didn't even like to climb up on me when I was laying down. They always moved around me. Now they lay on their backs and want tummy rubs or jump up on my recliner with me. Once you ear their trust they just get super friendly.

steph84, Nov 27, 2012
  3. blurinoctober

Bloomsie Active Member

I used to have a cat a long time ago named Tiger who did the same thing. For most of his life, he would stay under the bed, or sleep by himself somewhere odd like the sink or drawer. But then after a few years, he changed and would sleep on the bed. Granted, he wasn't cuddling, but he would sleep at the far down corner and pur for hours on end. Later on, he'd then snuggle next to my head and give me headbutt kisses and lick my face. So it is possible for cats to change as time goes on. As step84 has mentioned, it could be that your cat trusts you more. It just takes some cats longer than others.

Bloomsie, Nov 27, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Some do and some don't. I remember Hitler, a tom with some Manx blood which never liked even to be patted. If I took him up on my lap, he would sit there only as long as my hand was on him. Once I lift my hand, he's off. I have also had some that would sleep the whole day on my lap if I allowed them to.

Victor Leigh, Nov 27, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Cats are just like people....they change over time. In her kitten years, she wasn't interested, but now as an adult, maybe she's more interested in sitting on you. It may just be a phase and in a couple years, she may go back to not wanting to be on you even!

Jessi, Nov 27, 2012
  6. blurinoctober

Yes, cats are like people in many ways. They fall in love with you. And they fall out of love with you. Plus they can get jealous when another cat loves you. Or you love another cat.

Victor Leigh, Nov 28, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

You are right here! The cat is question is acting more and more like a human lately, it actually amuses me as it goes.

blurinoctober, Nov 29, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

Good that your cat is acting more like a human lately. Generally speaking, cats consider themselves to be superior to human beings. They only tolerate us because we serve them. Even if we are not around, they cope very well by themselves.

Victor Leigh, Nov 29, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
Ask a Question