Jumping ability in Cats.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Mar 27, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

This is something that still floors me. I still am amazed at how cats can literally leap through the air and land on something. Yesterday Squiggy came into our home as she does every morning, and she jumped onto the kitchen table with ease. My brother laughed at the fact that she was able to do this wihtout jumping onto a chair first. I have seen Pepper and her kittens all jump onto a fence leading our neighbors house that has to be about eight feet high and do it like it was nothing. Then proceed to jump to a shed that's a few feet higher. This is why its almost impossible to pen an outdoor cat in a yard, their jumping ability makes that next to impossible.

pafjlh, Mar 27, 2015
  2. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I've always felt amazed with the jumping skills of cats as well, mine always ended up in the roof or over the high wall that divided our old yard, Same with the in laws cat, it was funny to look outside the window and see the cat on the roof of the shed! Cats are amazing! How wonderful it'd be to have those skills!

Trellum, Mar 28, 2015
  3. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I am laughing and crying at the same time as I read this thread. Twinkle just used to delight me with the way he jumped and sprang around. I am sure I told the story of how he was jumping and playing around with the dog who just could not keep up and in the jumping process left me three scratches on my leg which I try to find sometimes, My leg just got caught in the jumping around and after the initial pain all I could do was shake my head and smile.

The stories I can tell about his agility could fill a book in the short time he was here. One dog in particular Zola just wished she could jump and skip around like Twinkle. I felt so bad for her I have left a chair that she can jump into and look outside where Twinkle used to like to hang out.

Anne, Mar 31, 2015
  4. pafjlh

MER Well-Known Member

A LEAP OF FAITH

My wife called me this morning and told me that Rosco jumped / fell from out second floor balcony in the house. Its at least a 20 foot drop. My wife was dusty and Rosco wanted to play and I guess got confused what floor he was on. My wife didn't see him land but I pray to God he landed on all 4's. She said he's acting a bit as usual but I'm considering going home for lunch just in case. Anyone else experience their cats jumping 20 feet down onto a hard surface?

MER, Sep 22, 2015
  5. pafjlh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

MER how is Rosco doing? The same thing happened to my cat Merle shortly after we got him. He went out the screen in my bedroom window and fell 3 stories down. I didn't know it had happened until I got a call from the neighbor downstairs. I went out and got him and brought him in. It was on a Sunday so there were never vets opened. He layed on the couch most of the day sleeping and never moved. I wasn't sure if he was okay or not. He didn't seem to want to wake up. He never said a word. All of a sudden at about 8pm he got up and he was back to his bad self. lol I think he got more of a scare then anything. He was just fine with no injuries. He was very lucky.

Susan Brown, Sep 27, 2015
  6. pafjlh

MER Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking. Rosco is back to his own self too. He barfed shortly after his fall/jump and seemed to have had a rough stomach for that day. He slept it off too. Now he's purr purr purr. I'm thinking about getting him a little super cat cape if I can find one!

MER, Sep 28, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  7. pafjlh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

lol I said the same thing about Merle. He needs a cape!! Super Cat!! :)

Susan Brown, Sep 29, 2015
Ask a Question