Is the breed of a cat important to you?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Trellum, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I was wondering how important the breed of a cat is for you guys. For me it's not that important, but I must admit I do have some favorite cat breeds.

So far I've only had mutts, but in the future I'd love to have a norwegian forest cat. It's something I've wanted to do since I saw this breed in action some years ago; they're lovely. But the breed isn't important at all, when I adopt a cat... the most important thing for me is the temperament of it :) A pretty face always helps too ;)

Trellum, Oct 20, 2013
  2. Trellum

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

I've always wanted a Bengal cats. I just Love energetic cats. I never have seen it in my local adoption center though. I think the breed is a bit important too. You need to find out if the cat fits your lifestyle. Not by looks, but I do agree, a pretty face would be help too. Lol;)

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  3. Trellum

steph84 Well-Known Member

I think all tuxedo cats hold a special place in my heart. My baby kitty love is a tuxedo cat and so whenever I see them I just think "aww" and it reminds me of my babe.

steph84, Feb 2, 2014
  4. Trellum

muning Member

In the past, I wanted to have long-haired cats such as Persians and Agoras. I realized that the maintenance they require does not fit my lifestyle. Most of my cats are mixed breeds acquired either by adoption or were rescued. As I got to know their base breeds, I found out that I fell in love with cats with the Manx breed. They are very intelligent and have lots of tricks to show.

muning, Sep 25, 2014
  5. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

I only recently looked into various breeds and lament I never knew what Twinkle was before he passed. I see some beautiful cats online and for me Twinkle was the sweetest I have seen in my area. Since he died I see lots of cats where I live and NONE look like him. They do not not come close. Maybe it's a mother's love:).

Breed does not matter to me as I am still learning but it must have a look for me to fall in love with. I am still trying to embrace "black cats".

Anne, Nov 10, 2014
  6. Trellum

mimio Active Member

It's not so important to me, but I love cats with lots of hair. It will be very comfortable to touch them! So I may won't have a Sphynx.

mimio, Jan 6, 2015
  7. Trellum

wahmed Active Member

I think cats as a whole are adorable. To be honest purebred cats look divine, but are such hard work and upkeep that you have to treat them like a newborn baby. In my personal opinion it's best to go to a pound and rescue little cats but need all the love and cuddles they can get.

wahmed, Mar 11, 2015
  8. Trellum

That is so sweet, Anne! Mom's love is the best, nothing can beat :) But tell me, apart from your twinkle... you have never seen a ginger cat mix in your neighborhood?

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
  9. Trellum

Hahaha! Me either! Cat breeds re not important to me, but I'd not own a sphinx cat, lol. They look so creepy, plus I bet they feel so cold often! I'd not feel comfortable touching a sphinx cat, would be worried about its sensitive skin..

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
  10. Trellum

Manx cats are really lovely, love the tail, it reminds me of a corgi, specially if looking at them from behind, hehe. Have you ever come across one in a rescue center?

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
  11. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

No I have not. I have this older guy who comes to help me out around the house and I don't think he liked my cat but still he would always tell me there was something sort of special about her compared to most he had seen. I have seen them all and none of them came close to looking as sweet as he did and I am not being bias.

Now remember I was not a cat person: actually I thought I hated them until Twinkle came. Before she came there was this one that really scared me: remember I told you I came home once and saw them outside like they were courting? That's the one I am curious about what breed it was. It looked something like my Chihuahua with less hair and it was beige or white. Now we are in the breeding conversation I am excited about some I have seen around here.

But seriously, most I see in my neighborhood look a little unwell. A guy some houses down tells me he loves cats but somehow I don't ever see his. I suspect there might not be a lot of breeds here that are elsewhere in the world. I was thinking of going to our local shelter to see what they have but I don't think I am ready yet.

Anne, Mar 11, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  12. Trellum

Maybe the guy doesn't like to let his cat out? I'm actually glad I don't let mine out, an evil and idiot man in the neighborhood poisoned all the stray cats in the neighborhood. Just because some of them were leaving droppings in his garden from time to time, so he poisoned them all. I was outraged! No one supported me tho, they acted like I was crazy for caring about the life of innocent cats!

Trellum, Mar 12, 2015
  13. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Because I don't know how Twinkle died, all sorts of things go through my head from time to time. I wonder if he was poisoned or struck by a car. If it was the latter it meant the person had to put him where I found him. I just know something was "fishy" about the whole thing.

Back on topic. I can get very carried away talking about Twinkle. This strange looking cat that I mentioned that I am looking for online everywhere that has these pointed ears and small body, do you have any idea what breed he might be? Just curious and it's weird he's gone missing as well. Wonder if both that cat and Twinkle were poisoned together.

I know my mistake was to let Twinkle out and it haunts me. I have visions of him sitting at the window everyday. If only I had known.

Anne, Mar 12, 2015
  14. Trellum

muning Member

No, I haven't come across a Manx at at rescue center, not a pure one if ever there is, to be noticeable. There are lots of tabby cats and other mixed breeds. In our country, cats roam the streets and most of them are tabbies or white and orange. Maybe the people got tired of these colors and just decided to throw them away. Poor cats.

muning, Mar 25, 2015
  15. Trellum

Here I have seen a lot tabby cats as well, some white, black and even gingers :O I heard that in the US it is possible to find pure breed cats in the shelters sometimes. I know for sure you can find pure breed dogs in some specialized rescue centers! I know of a pug rescue shelter that offers only pugs... all ages :eek:

Trellum, Mar 25, 2015
  16. Trellum

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Well, given the fact that one of my cats started out as a stray, namely Pepper I guess breed doesn't matter too much. Pepper was a stray when I first met her, and to this day I have no idea what breed she is. I would be cuious to know what breed one of her kittens is by the name of Squiggy. The reason I am curious has to do with the fact that I see this breed quite a bit, in commricials, TV programs and pictures online. This is a cute black and white breed of cat that seems to be quite popular.

pafjlh, Mar 27, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  17. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

The breed of the cat isn't important to me. I have had many breeds over the years. I have always had cats since I was just a little girl. I just love all cats and I want to take them all home with me. They all have their own unique personalities and mannerisms. I have a Russian Blue now and he is laid back and easy going. His coat is beautiful.

Susan Brown, Jul 9, 2015
  18. Trellum

mimio Active Member

Yes! They seems not so lovely!

mimio, Jul 17, 2015
  19. Trellum

AnnaBanana Member

I believe personality wins over breed any day. All of the cats I've had over my lifetime have been strays or gifts, so I've never had a cat that wasn't some mixture of who-knows-what. But they become huge parts of my life and heart, and wouldn't take an expensive cat over them for any reason. If I had a my choice of breed and personality, I'd love a super affectionate cat that was a Persian.

AnnaBanana, Jul 27, 2016
  20. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Well since my cat left me too soon, I honestly figured I would never have another and since getting another dog bringing the number to four, me getting another cats feels like a very distant thing. Still, I keep thinking that I would never find another like my Twinkle and while I don't know for sure what breed he was I think I would constantly be comparing or at least thinking I want a cat that looks like him. Here in my country I don't know we have a whole long list of breeds and at the end of the day it's going to be about personality and a connection if it happens again.

Anne, Jul 27, 2016
Ask a Question