Is my cat pooping for attention?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by MyCatBaby, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MyCatBaby

MyCatBaby New Member

Recently, my 3 year old cat Baby has started doing little "poops" near wherever I am sitting or lying down. I took him to the vet about a month ago when this first started and he got a good report, with the exception of his anal glands being slightly impacted. That has been corrected, but he is still doing it and I am starting to think that it is behavioral. He never does it when he is alone with my husband. I went out one evening last week and as soon as I got home and sat down at the kitchen island to eat, he sat in front of me and let out a little poop pellet! There is no way that isn't personal! I'm home with him all day and we play, cuddle and sleep together every night. I have no idea what I am doing to upset him. Does anyone have any experience with this? Help!

MyCatBaby, Dec 12, 2012
  2. MyCatBaby

tajnz Well-Known Member

I don't personally have any experience with such a situation but I recall having a family friend whose vet told them that their cat was pooping to get attention, which was an interesting idea. After reading your story I'm starting to think that the theory could be true. I don't think you've done anything to upset your cat though .. maybe it's just really attached to you and so it poops to make sure you continue to give it special attention?

tajnz, Dec 12, 2012
  3. MyCatBaby

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cat does a lot of interesting things to get attention, but she's never pooped for it! I think that's what this sounds like. Cats can get really attached, so if he doesn't think you're getting enough attention, well, this obviously gets your attention. Maybe ignore him when he does it next time and see how he reacts?

blurinoctober, Dec 13, 2012
  4. MyCatBaby

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think you're upsetting him either.

Have you been back to the vet since the visit you mentioned? He could actually still be having issues. It could even be that he relaxes more once he's near you and that's making it easier for him to 'go'....and it's not that he's trying to get your attention at all. He's simply having accidents because he's still struggling.

Jessi, Dec 13, 2012
Ask a Question