Is my cat over attached?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Scottyxx, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My boyfriend thinks yes..

Basically my cat, Bandit, the guy to the right, follows me around constantly. As soon as I come home from work he runs up to me, and starts pawing my leg to come up. I'll pick him up and then we will have cuddles and he will lie on my shoulder as I go about my business..

When I put him down he scurries around, but if I leave the room and he doesnt see me leave. He starts to meow, until I let him know where I am. At bed time, he crawls up onto my chest and sits with me for about half an hour for tickles, then goes down to the end of the bed and sleeps on my feet.

When we are in cuddles, he grabs my face with his paws and turns me around to face him so he can lick my face...

He also wont let me pee or shower in peace, he has to come in...even jumping in the shower (the little creep!)

This is crazy over attached cat behavior, right? I mean I know I encourage it, but I feel like maybe he is just slightly over attached? What do you think? Do you think I should try and make him less of a stalker?

Scottyxx, Nov 23, 2012
  2. Scottyxx

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I remember having a couple of stray kittens that were somewhat like that. They do follow me into the bathroom but get out as soon as I turn on the shower. Then they just sit outside the door. Probably wondering how I could survive under all that water. It's a passing phase, though, for my cats. Once they are confident that I am not going to leave them, they learned to go around the house by themselves.

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
  3. Scottyxx

Glad to know he is not a super creepy stalker! Hahaha! I worry about him being too attached, but I think it is nice to be close to a pet, he is my first so I have no idea what is normal.

Scottyxx, Nov 25, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  4. Scottyxx

Well,, looks like your cat has got you well-trained. You won't be the first one to get owned by a cat, though. The cats weren't joking when they declared that "Dogs drool, Cats rule".

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
  5. Scottyxx

Oh yes these guys get whatever they want because they are just too cute! I am owned!

Scottyxx, Nov 26, 2012
  6. Scottyxx

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat does the same thing! I draw the line when it comes to the bathroom. He likes to scratch at the door and tries to come in. He meows until I let him in, but I never cave. If I do then all 3 cats will want to come in and my bathroom is too small for a kitty party. I don't know why they love the bathroom so much.

steph84, Nov 27, 2012
  7. Scottyxx

Its so weird, because mine HATE water, yet whenever I go to shower, they always have to follow me in. But if I pick them up, and put them in, they scratch me and freak out, very very strange!

Scottyxx, Nov 27, 2012
  8. Scottyxx

I see. So I am not the only one that has cats which follow the owner into the bathroom.

I have a theory. Considering that cats usually don't like water, the only reason that I can think of for them following us into the bathroom is that they love us so much and they want to make sure that we won't drown in all that water.

I have kept my bathroom door open a few times while I bathed. My cats would sit in a row just outside the door looking rather sad while watching me bath.

Victor Leigh, Nov 27, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  9. Scottyxx

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

One of my cats loves the basement bathroom. It's two doors over from my bedroom and she'll go in there by herself when I'm upstairs and never misses a chance to follow me in if I have to use it. Once I shut the door, though, she'll stare at it and sometimes meow until I open it again. Cats are confusing, but cute!

blurinoctober, Nov 30, 2012
  10. Scottyxx

No, your cat is not confusing. She just wants to get into the bathroom, not get locked inside the bathroom. Trying to be part of everything fits in with a cat's innate sense of curiosity but cats are also very safety conscious so they always make sure that the venues of escape are always open.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2012
  11. Scottyxx

BugM Member

Every cat is different. Some are more lovable than others. I know my friend's cat hardly wants anything to do with her. Mine, on the other hand, are all very affection to different degrees. I have one that will jump on you the second you sit down or lie down somewhere, as she thinks it's now time for her to sit on your chest and get love. I also have two kittens who follow me around the house constantly. They don't sleep in my room, as they're technically someone else's, but they are always at my door and waiting for me right around the time I wake up so they can trail me around the bathroom and kitchen. It's kind of funny. I only have one cat who doesn't seem to like being loved on as much. He wants attention when he's curled up on a bed. He'll roll on his back and want his tummy rubbed. So every cat is different. Your's is curious and affectionate. I count this as a good thing. I love cuddling my cats (when I'm not busy, haha). It's only ever irritating when I'm trying to work.

BugM, Jan 4, 2013
  12. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat is kind of a diva and not a super cuddly type, so I think your problem of having a cat that worships you and follows you everywhere is a wonderful problem to have.
    It's adorable that your cat grabs your face and turns it so he can lick your face. You should just enjoy your cat's personality and not worry about him being a creepy stalker.
    I don't think he needs to change. It sounds like Bandit loves you very much.

ACSAPA, Jan 5, 2013
  13. Scottyxx

I was recently home in the Uk for 3 weeks, my boyfriend says it was almost impossible to do anything with the cats craving his attention, they would wake him up during the night for cuddles and jump on him no matter what he was doing!

Scottyxx, Jan 6, 2013
  14. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Does it bother you that he's so attached?

If not, then I don't see any reason to try to break him of that. He's obviously interested in your time. Now if that bothers your partner because you will spend that time with the cat constantly, then I suppose it might be worth looking into changing. :p

Jessi, Jan 6, 2013
  15. Scottyxx

I just wondered if it was an unhealthy relationship haha, it doesn't bother me!

Scottyxx, Jan 8, 2013
Ask a Question