Is It Contageous? - Cleaning Cat Items

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by QuatreHiead, Jul 8, 2012.

1. QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

So, as a few of you have heard, I previously owned a couple of cats. Both died from illnesses where nothing more could be done besides keeping them comfortable and letting them live their lives to the fullest until their final days.

The last kitty I had, bless her heart, she died of feline leukemia. It was most tragic, but she was a strong fighter until the end, and was allowed to go peacefully.

I would love to be able to get another cat sometime soon. As circumstances are now, it hasn't been long since I've lost my beloved Snow and I am not in a financial position to be able to properly care for a cat. That said, it will be some time.

I am somewhat concerned however about reusing the items that we had for Snow around. For example the cat carrier, litter box, and cat dishes. Do you think this would be a problem? Anyone have the best recommendations of what should be used to clean and sterilize these materials?

QuatreHiead, Jul 8, 2012
  2. QuatreHiead

Anna T Active Member

definitely sterilize everything you have. My aunt has had a lot of cats die from feline leukemia, and it seems that she said the germ can live for a few years! Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong because I am not the expert, but I would still advise you to sterilize all your old items before you use them again with a new kitty.

Anna T, Jul 9, 2012
  3. QuatreHiead

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I would get a new litter box and anything you used for cleaning it out. The carrier I am not sure about. I think if you sterilized it, it would be fine because it wasn't something they would have been in every day. I think I would also get rid of the feeding dishes if they are plastic. Feline leukemia is spread from saliva, nasal, urine, feces and milk so anything your poor baby touched that way can contain the virus. I would probably toss it all and start brand new (except for the carrier) just to be safe but I also had a cat who died from feline Leukemia so I would do it to be safe. I don't really know how long the virus stays viable for if a simple disinfectant would work.

You can always check with your local animal shelter. They would probably know for sure since they come in contact with a lot of sick animals.

HappyRocinante, Jul 11, 2012
  4. QuatreHiead

steph84 Well-Known Member

You could sterilize most of it, but get rid of the litter box and food trays. I always get rid of things where body fluids are exchanged.

steph84, Jul 11, 2012
  5. QuatreHiead

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Oh and don't forget about the toys! Anything that can hold saliva I would either toss or really clean.

HappyRocinante, Jul 11, 2012
  6. QuatreHiead

QuatreHiead Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I believe you're all right that starting from scratch for most everything with exception of perhaps the carrier would be the best bet. I am concerned about that however because I know she got quite frightened taking her to the vet so she did urinate in the carrier. There were towels and cloths to absorb most of it, but I don't expect (most depressingly and unfortunately) to be able to afford getting another cat anytime soon. As such, I will try to keep a lookout for a new one. I suppose I could also send a quick note to my veterinarian. I wouldn't want to take any chances however, I did double check typically viruses survive longer without a host since they aren't living like bacteria. I know this isn't indefinitely, but since they can be quite persistent and it's a terribly deadly virus I'll be extra cautious.

So sorry to all of you who've known a cat/kitten that died from feline leukemia! May they all rest in peace.

QuatreHiead, Jul 11, 2012
  7. QuatreHiead

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about the loss of your cats, but it is nice to see you looking forward and thinking about adopting a new cat. It is heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet, but taking in a shelter cat that needs a loving home can help you to heal.

ACSAPA, Jul 24, 2012
Ask a Question