Interaction is not just for dogs.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by footballtim, Sep 1, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Cats need human interaction. Not only is it good for their disposition, but it is also good for their health.

If you do not interact with your cat, he/she will spend most of his/her life just laying around being bored.

This does not mean that you have to spend the same amount of time with a cat as you do with a dog. It just means that it is bad for your cat if you completely ignore him/her.

footballtim, Sep 1, 2012
  2. footballtim

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It depends on the individual cat. I can still remember, Hitler, a Manx-mix I had long ago. He was a very quiet cat. I think in all the years I had him, I couldn't remember even hearing him meow once. Not only was he the quiet type but he was also rather a recluse. He would sit by himself and was perfectly content if he was not petted.

Victor Leigh, Sep 2, 2012
  3. footballtim

tajnz Well-Known Member

I agree that most cats benefit from some attention. :) Cats who get a lot of attention tend to be friendlier, as they are used to human attention. Lots of my friends have cats who love human attention and will approach visitors straight away. :D

tajnz, Sep 4, 2012
  4. footballtim

Generally speaking, I noticed that as they get older the cats tend to be more reserved. They would sit somewhere high up by themselves. Usually it's the kittens that need more attention. I suppose they are somewhat like little children, too.

Victor Leigh, Sep 4, 2012
  5. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I try to pet my cats once in a while but they're pretty independent and don't like to be handled too much. Our one cat was really mean when we got her and for nearly a year would frequently bite and scratch you if you tried to pet her. She's only just now started to warm up to us and started to jump up on the table and stare at us when she wants our attention. Our other cat only wants attention when she wants food - she will start rubbing up against your legs and weaving between them. She's almost tripped me down the steps doing that, lol.

OhioTom76, Sep 4, 2012
  6. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

I believe that a cat can be rehabilitated to become more affectionate, but you would have to work at it much more with a cat than with a dog. Many cats are independent animals compared to dogs.

We have spent a lot of time and energy trying to rehabilitate Tabitha (on your left). She was abused and neglected for the first eight years of her life by her previous owners.

Now that we have her health under control, and now that she has totally bonded with our other cat, she is more affectionate now than she ever was with us despite the fact that she is usually not a lap cat.

footballtim, Sep 5, 2012
  7. footballtim

Personally I wouldn't mind if my cats are all aloof. Then I don't have to worry about them sleeping on me when I am asleep. Or winding around my feet when I am going down the stairs.

Victor Leigh, Sep 10, 2012
  8. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Dogs seem to definitely enjoy company more. Although my friends cat, who isn't fixed for some reason, will not leave me along. Every time I go over there she climbs up my chest and stares right into my face the whole time. And when I try to get her off me she sinks her claws into me and practically rips my shirt.

OhioTom76, Sep 10, 2012
Ask a Question