Integrating A Second Cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by shdws, Feb 23, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a second cat. For those who have more than one cat, how did you integrate the second one? I know cats can be very territorial and that's what I'm afraid of.

shdws, Feb 23, 2013
  2. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

How old is your first cat?

I would recommend starting the new cat in a single room or portion of the house to begin with. This will not only allow him/her to feel more comfortable to start, but it'll give the original cat more territory to work with still before feeling entirely invaded. They may hit it off immediately, but if they don't, then giving them each some space is a good idea.

Jessi, Feb 23, 2013
  3. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

My first one is just a year old. Good idea on starting the second cat in a separate portion of the house. I will give it a try for sure.

shdws, Feb 28, 2013
  4. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ah, if s/he is still that young, I think you would be okay to try adding one now. That age is still technically 'kitten' like and while there may be some territorial issues, I doubt they would be major for very long.

Jessi, Feb 28, 2013
Ask a Question