Insulin for cats information

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I posted a tread once about how to give insulin to a cat. I only have one more question. After I pinch the skin and push the needle in do I let go of the pinched area, and push the insulin in, or do I let go once it's and then push it in. I don't want to hurt him.

Jenny Heart, Apr 29, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny. Have you tried calling your vet? I haven't had to give my cat injections, but would want to make sure I am doing it the right way too. You can also try to check out how-to videos on youtube if you can't get to your vet at this hour.

steph84, Apr 30, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If I remember rightly, the correct procedure is to pinch up the skin, then inject into the part just below the pinched-up skin, taking good care not to inject into the muscle. Keep holding on to the pinched-up skin until everything is injected into the cat. Then pull the needle out and gently massage the skin to help distribute the liquid that was injected.

I hope I remember it rightly.

Victor Leigh, Apr 30, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

jenb128 Member

Victor remembers correctly!

I used to have a diabetic kitty (he crossed the bridge last fall), and I had to give him two shots of ProZinc per day. In addition to what Victor said, I recommend pulling the plunger back a tiny bit once you have it inserted to make sure you didn't hit a blood vessel. If there's any blood in the syringe, start over at the beginning. Also, make sure the needle doesn't go all the way through to the other side of the tent so that you end up giving a "fur shot." I did that a few times when I was first leaning.

jenb128, May 5, 2012
Ask a Question