Indoor/outdoor cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by shdws, Jan 28, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Is your cat an indoor or outdoor cat? So far, my cat is an indoor cat but seems to love the outdoors. I'm kind of hesitant to let him wander around. Maybe I'm being overprotective lol.

shdws, Jan 28, 2013
  2. shdws

amberra824 Active Member

My cat has been an indoor/outdoor cat all of her life. During this time of the year, though, she doesn't like going out because of the cold. And she's been keeping to our basement and not getting anywhere near the doors to be let out since we got a new dog :p

amberra824, Jan 29, 2013
  3. shdws

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cats are purely inside cats! The outdoors scares them and I recently moved to town, so I'm terrified of letting them out anyway. A cat I used to have went outside whenever he wanted, though, (I still lived in the country then) and he was very happy! I'd assess your cats personality and where you live before deciding if you're going to let it outside alone or not. Some cats do well with it, some do not! If you want it to get fresh air but are worried, maybe get a harness and a leash and go out with him?

blurinoctober, Jan 29, 2013
  4. shdws

amberra824 Active Member

Yeah, that just reminded me - I live in the country, where there's plenty of non-populated space for my cats to roam, and not a lot of cars or anything like that to possibly injure them. You should always make a special note of that sort of stuff before letting your cat out. I didn't think to mention that before.

amberra824, Jan 29, 2013
  5. shdws

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

We live in the country area where there are just fields and nurseries. Our house is set back off the road and it's pretty low traffic anyway. So, our cats are indoor and outdoor. They spend more time inside during the winter but when spring and summer hit we'll see less of them during the day and more dead things they've caught. :confused:
    What's your area like? You might want to take you cat out on a leash if it's a pretty busy area or close to a road with medium or above traffic.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 30, 2013
  6. shdws

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Both of my cats are strictly indoor cats. I live directly next to a main road so there's no way I'd ever want to chance letting them out and even if I lived in the more rural areas around here I'd be extremely hesitant to let them out considering the amount of wildlife, including fisher cats and coyotes, that are in the area.

msmonkeyfeet, Jan 31, 2013
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen a cat on a leash. Right now I just moved to the suburbs after living in the city. With the suburbs come a bit of more wildlife, like raccoons. These racoons have already attacked a few cats in the neighborhood, so that's what I'm mostly afraid of.

shdws, Feb 1, 2013
Ask a Question