Ideas to help cats take their medications

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any ideas when it comes to hiding their cats medications in foods.? The best way I've found to get my cats to take their pills is with a pill product pocket, that I bought from the vet. My cats all love them as a treat as well. What other ideas have you found that helps your cats take their medications?

Jenny Heart, Apr 11, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

Pills are easiest, I crush them up and mix them in with tuna, the cats don't seem to notice them then at all :)

magickat, Apr 13, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine is fed dry food, but loves those pouches of wet food. We pop open the capsules, dump the powder in the gravy, and mix away. Because it's a treat, she doesn't even notice something else is there.

Jessi, Apr 13, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

I usually break it and put it in some wet food. My cat is so picky and always knows when something is up and I am trying to be sneaky. It's so easy to give them to my dogs. I just wrap some lunch meat around it and in it goes.

steph84, Apr 14, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

If your cat is really sensitive to tastes like mine I have to give it to them by hand. One of Mouth's asthma pills must taste horrible to him because if I don't get it right on the back of his tongue or if he tries to spit it back out, he starts foaming at the mouth at the taste. I watched a video on youtube that helped me the first time I had to give him pills and that's how I do it. This isn't the video I watched the first time but it is how I have to do it.
    If Mouth even suspects medicine in his food he won't touch it. Great sense of smell that cat!

HappyRocinante, May 11, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. The smell and taste of the tuna covers the smell and taste of the medicine.

In my case, I normally use grilled salted fish. Then I pound it into a powder. The medicine, if it's a pill, is also pounded into a powder. The fish and the medicine are then mixed with a bit of rice. I purposely keep the portion small so that my cat would have finished all of it without even being half-full.

This is what I use to pound the fish and medicine.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 12, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

With food it won't work for my cats, at least not with food in a bowl.
    That's why I start like you, that is I mix crashed pills with something and I apply this something on a cat's paws. The cat will try to get rid of it licking of course, and it will lick the medicine as well. Usually :confused: My younger could do it sooo slowly that she wasn't able to do it eventually because it dried off. But it usually works.

violino, May 14, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Now that you mentioned it, I remember there's some kind of cat food sold in a tube. It's like a paste and is meant for sick cats which cannot eat the usual way. What we do is smear a bit of that toothpaste-like food on the upper lip of the cat and the cat will lick it off. Maybe it can be mixed with the powdered medicine beforehand.

Victor Leigh, May 15, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

I wish I had cats that would take the pills as if they were treats :( I would have to crush the pills in powder and mix them with the wet food. In the past, I had a cat that wouldn't eat it and I had to force-feed the pill down his throat. Poor cat was never sick after that! :D

Mystique, May 18, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that. :S If they can lick it off their lips, though, then why can't they lick it off a bowl or whatever? I understand not being able to eat hard food, but it seems like the soft food should be easy enough anyway.

Jessi, May 18, 2012
  11. Jenny Heart

Sometimes the cat is too weak to even stand up on its feet. So forget about eating or licking from the bowl. Just smear a bit of that food paste on its nose and it gets something to help it regain its health. It's a very sad situation when a cat gets that bad but I have done it and got my cat back in good health. Still, takes a lot of hard work. Like I have to do it once every couple of hours.

Victor Leigh, May 20, 2012
Ask a Question