I want to share this great thing that happened

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shona, Sep 25, 2014.

1. shona

shona New Member

Hello Everyone.
    I just joined. I want to tell all the cat guardians about this great thing that happened to me and my cats.
    My two cats are rescues from a long time ago. My little one [one is big and one is smaller], has had a vomiting problem for a long time. I have tried for years to get him off kibble to no avail. He has silkier fur than my other one, his brother, and I think that was part of the problem. But the vomiting recently got much worse, though it wasn't good to begin with. Sometimes he'd vomit right after a meal, other times it would be a long while. I experimented with different kibbles, high end, to no avail. Finally put them on Blue Buffalo and boy did they glow. But still the little one continued the vomiting, and it got to be daily and even more than once daily. His poop has for years smelled so incredibly bad I had to remove it right away or we'd have to move out!
    I was so worried all the time and decided I'd try one last thing, and had already decided to go to the vet, tho the one we trusted was over 100 miles round trip and there are problems getting there. I had heard that you must not let cats go long without food or it will hurt their liver. But it was down to something had to be done or he would get worse and worse and be sick anyway. I am vegan and haven't made meat in a long time. I bought wonderful fried chicken at the market and removed [and ate-lol] the batter and gave the meat to the cats. The big guy will eat anything, but the little one turned up his nose. So instead of cutting it into the usual tiny chunks, I cut a big chunk, and wiggled it on the big one's plate. As I'd hoped, he treated it like prey, and the little one came over to help him. Well, then they both began to eat. When they balked, I just told them this is what we eat now. Now I buy fresh chicken legs and thighs and bake them and they eat them without a problem. We are going into the third week of this.
    Within the first week the little one stopped vomiting!!! I can no longer tell when he poops!! They look real healthy. I do not need to clean the litter box nearly as much, either.
    I am so very grateful. I wanted people to know for the good of their wards.

shona, Sep 25, 2014
  2. shona

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow! That sounds wonderful, Shona! Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us! I often heard how bad the food we humans eat are bad for cats, but that's what the people from those cat food companies want us to believe! After all... what did the cats and their bigger cousins ate in the wild!? Of course little birds and prey! My in laws cat eat mice! And he is healthy as ever... wild mice that lives in the fields, btw.

Trellum, Sep 25, 2014
    shona likes this.
  3. shona

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

I found a book at our local library on wholistic food for pets. They had a recipe for boiling a whole chicken with vegetables. I'll check the book out again and send some of the recipes. When I boiled a chicken, I de-boned it, pureed it in the blender and then put it in a small canning jar (with the flat lid and screw top). They are tempered glass and will freeze ok if you don't overfill them. The problem with making food for cats is that it takes a lot of time and work. Freezing is a great shortcut. Put them in hot water to thaw them out.

Kay Dougall, Nov 19, 2014
  4. shona

Aymes Member

I am so glad that helped your kitty! Some cats can just be so sensitive to certain foods. I just want to remind you that cat needs taurine and might not be able to get enough from cooked meat. Here is a great article about it: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/taurine-in-cats/3857. You can just buy taurine capsules and add the appropriate amount. You could also try and put chicken into some cat food, since it;s formulated with the proper taurine amounts. Not all cat food is bad. I would not suggest getting your cat food at the supermarket because that usually has a lot of carbs. Try getting it at a pet store. Wellness and Science Diet are good brands to start. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Aymes, Dec 13, 2014
  5. shona

Anne Well-Known Member

It's a shame My Twinkle can't benefit from these fine suggestions. I am glad Shona's little ones were doing well at the time of her writing. Some months down the road I hope they are still doing well. I am sure that I had read something along the lines of what Aymes was saying, so I guess we have to maintain a proper balance.

When Twinkle was alive he liked to eat some of the things I ate, but I was always careful notto overdo. I was new to cat life and did not want to make too many mistakes.

Anne, Dec 21, 2014
Ask a Question